These Chocolate Walnut Butter Tarts are filled with a delicious buttery filling in a flakey pie crust!
I’ve teamed up with Land O’Lakes once again to bring you another out-of-this-world treat, just in time for the holidays!
Are you familiar with Canadian Butter Tarts? The filling is made up of brown sugar, butter, a little corn syrup, eggs and just a touch of flour to bind it all together. The texture is very similar to that of a pecan pie, but with a slightly different consistency.
It’s super easy to whip up this recipe because the filling calls for just 1/4 cup of butter. This means you can use Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks, which are conveniently wrapped up in 1/4 cup measurements!
Once you have the butter tart mixture ready to go, just cut out some circles of pie dough and place them in a regular size muffin tin.
Butter Tart Filling Variations:
- The traditional butter tart calls for raisins, which might sound bizarre, but trust me, it’s good!
- Try browning the butter before mixing with the brown sugar for a more nutty flavor.
- Skip the walnuts or sub with pecans if desired.
- Swap maple syrup for corn syrup for a sweet treat!
There are literally so many ways to make butter tarts, but these Chocolate Walnut Butter Tarts are definitely a fun place to start!
In order to better distribute the walnuts and chocolate, I’ve opted to fill each cup with a little bit of both prior to adding the butter tart filling. This is great because you can really customize each butter tart to your liking.
Before serving, give the tarts a light dusting of powdered sugar for a pretty finishing touch, then promptly hide these from everyone in the house. Trust me.
They disappear real quick when everyone knows they’re there.
You’re going to love these, I just know it!Print
Chocolate Walnut Butter Tarts
These Canadian Chocolate Walnut Butter Tarts are filled with a delicious buttery and chocolate filling.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (9 inch) refrigerated pie dough
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Land O Lakes® Butter in Half Sticks, softened
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Unroll the pie dough and cut out 12 (3 inch) circles using a round cookie cutter or small bowl. Reroll the pie dough to get all 12 circles if needed. Line the cavities of the muffin tin with the pie dough and evenly distribute the chocolate chips and walnuts between them. Set aside
- Combine the brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl and beat with a mixer until combined. Add the corn syrup, eggs, flour and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Divide the butter filling between the prepared pie crusts, about 2 tbsp each.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until filling is a deep golden brown and crust is golden brown. Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: chocolate, walnut, butter, tarts, cookies, easy
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Land O’Lakes. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: