These Brown Butter Maple Tarts have a flaky pie crust, and are filled with a rich and sweet, almost custard like center.
Have you ever had a butter tart? You may be hesitant at first if you’ve never had one, I know I was. But in reality they are beyond delicious!
Browned Butter Maple Tarts
Instead of just regular ol’ butter I browned it to give it a more of a nutty and rich flavor.
I also added real maple syrup. Not the fake stuff, but the real 100% maple syrup. Don’t skimp.
Ingredients For Butter Tarts
Here’s a basic list of what you’ll need to make this classic Canadian treat…
- Pie Crust – refrigerated crust works great, or homemade for an extra special treat
- Maple Syrup – use 100% real maple syrup for these!
- Brown Sugar – light brown sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- All purpose flour
These couldn’t be easier to make, which is also quite dangerous, because these cute little tarts are irresistible.
Each bite just melts in your mouth like, well… butter.
The flavor and texture reminds me of a pecan pie, but without any pecans in it.
How To Make Butter Tarts
I brought these Brown Butter Maple Tarts to a little get together with some of my girlfriends and they were gone in the blink of an eye. I’m serious when I say these things are that good.
- Start by rolling out your pie dough and using a circle cookie cutter to cut out the pie shells.
- Place the pie shells in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it begins to steam and foam. (Keep a close eye on it as it foams.) Swirl it gently, watching the color. When it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts, immediately remove it from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Pour the filling mixture into the prepared pie shells and bake until set.
More Canadian Recipes To Try
These classic butter tarts are a Canadian treat that are loved by all. Here are a few more of our favorite dessert recipes from Canada…
- Chocolate Walnut Butter Tarts
- Nanaimo Bars
- Nanaimo Cheesecake
- Poutine Gravy – ok, this isn’t a dessert, but it’s one of our favorite Canadian recipes!
You’re going to love this simple recipe, I just know it!
Brown Butter Maple Tarts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Unroll the pie crust dough and use a 3 inch circle cookie cutter to punch out 7 circles from each pie crust. Re-roll the dough if necessary. Place each circle in a muffin tin, set aside.
- Brown the butter by placing it in a saucepan over medium heat, melt it until it begins to steam and foam. (Keep a close eye on it as it foams.) Swirl it gently, watching the color. When it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts, immediately remove it from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crusts.
- Bake until puffed and browned, about 10-12 minutes.