Have you ever had a butter tart? You may be hesitant at first if you’ve never had one, I know I was. But in reality they are beyond delicious! These Brown Butter Maple Tarts have a flaky pie crust, and are filled with a rich and sweet, almost custard like center.
Instead of just regular ol’ butter I browned it to give it a more of a nutty and rich flavor.
I also added real maple syrup. Not the fake stuff, but the real 100% maple syrup. Don’t skimp.
These couldn’t be easier to make, which is also quite dangerous, because these cute little tarts are irresistible.
Each bite just melts in your mouth like, well… butter.
I brought these Brown Butter Maple Tarts to a little get together with some of my girlfriends and they were gone in the blink of an eye. I’m serious when I say these things are that good.
You’re going to love this simple recipe, I just know it!Print
Brown Butter Maple Tarts
Brown Butter Maple Tarts have a flaky pie crust and are filled with a rich, almost custard like center!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 14 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 refrigerated, ready made pie crusts (Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Unroll the pie crust dough and use a 3 inch circle cookie cutter to punch out 7 circles from each pie crust. Re-roll the dough if necessary. Place each circle in a muffin tin, set aside.
- Brown the butter by placing it in a saucepan over medium heat, melt it until it begins to steam and foam. (Keep a close eye on it as it foams.) Swirl it gently, watching the color. When it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts, immediately remove it from the heat and whisk in the maple syrup, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crusts.
- Bake until puffed and browned, about 10-12 minutes.
recipe adapted from Food Network
Keywords: brown butter, maple syrup, tarts