So what exactly is Poutine?
Pronounced “Pooh – teen”; it is comprised of french fries, cheese curds, and a special Poutine Gravy Recipe. Definitely a splurge, and probably Canada’s most famous dish.
In fact, before traveling to the frozen north I had no idea what poutine was, nor had I ever heard of it before. My Canadian sister-in-law gave me a crash course of all the good food I needed to try while in Canada. Poutine was on the top of the list.
I know it may seem strange, and probably unappetizing to some, but something magical happens when those crispy, salted french fries mix with gooey melted cheese and swim in that scrumptious, hot gravy.
It’s mind blowing.
My first experience with Poutine was in a one-stoplight-town in the middle of who knows where, on our drive to Northern BC. It was a little roadside diner, and we felt compelled to try this “Poutine.”
I was instantly hooked.
If you live in Canada, you’re aware that Poutine is served EVERYWHERE. Even McDonald’s. Last summer a rodeo came to town and instead of serving nachos at the concession stand – poutine. It’s common place.
For those of you that don’t live in Canada, or those that just want to experience this phenomenon…
I’m sharing the simplest recipe you can find.
(Unless you live in Canada and buy the canned poutine gravy. Yes, that exists.)
Poutine Gravy Recipe
- 1 french fries, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup cheese curds, shredded mozzarella or monterey jack cheese will work too
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Sprinkle in the pepper, whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup of flour, constantly whisking to combine. After a minute or two of whisking the mixture will be thick.
- Combine the broths in a measuring cup and slowly begin to pour into the flour mixture, whisking constantly, until smooth and well blended. Allow to cook several minutes until thickened.
- Toss together the hot french fries with cheese in an oven proof dish or skillet. Pour your desired amount of gravy on top and pop back in the oven for a minute or two to let the cheese melt even more. Serve immediately. Enjoy!