These sweet and sticky Instant Pot Asian Beef Short Ribs are ultra tender and ready in a flash thanks to the pressure cooker.
After falling in love with my Instant Pot Baby Back Pork Ribs (we seriously make them several times each month), I decided to give beef short ribs a try in the pressure cooker.
Beef short ribs are fantastic because they’re thick and marbled with delicious fats, which creates a lot of flavor in a small bite. I gave the ribs a quick rub down with some simple spices like ground ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper, then I placed them on the rack inside my Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Asian Beef Short Ribs
Why do I place them on the rack instead of straight on the bottom of the instant pot liner? Well, I like to have the ribs cook without being boiled. I feel like boiling the ribs makes them lose a lot of their flavor. With the liquid underneath the ribs, they have a chance to maintain their meaty flavor.
Place one cup of water underneath the ribs and pop the lid on. Cook the ribs on Manual High Pressure for 30 minutes with 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release before opening the valve and letting the pressure release completely.
Meanwhile you’ll want to mix together the delicious sweet and slightly spicy Asian-inspired sauce on the stove top.
The sauce is a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chili garlic sauce. It’s simmered on the stove top and thickened with a little cornstarch before slathering the tender beef short ribs.
Brush the ribs all over with the thickened sauce and pop under the broiler for a minute or two per side and you’re done!
Man oh man, these ribs were to die for! The whole house smelled amazing as they were cooking, and even my kids couldn’t wait to eat them!
The pressure cooker does all the hard work of making these ribs ultra tender in a fraction of the time.
You’re going to be blown away!
I finished them off with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and diced green onions. We serve these with a side of steamed white rice and a green vegetable.
I know you’re going to LOVE these sweet and sticky ribs!Print
Instant Pot Asian Beef Short Ribs
These sweet and sticky Instant Pot Asian Beef Short Ribs are deliciously tender and perfect when paired with steamed white rice and a green vegetable.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 lbs. Beef Short Ribs
- 1 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, black pepper, salt
For the Sauce:
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced ginger (fresh) or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic (fresh) or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce (found in the Asian aisle of the grocery store)
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- Place the rack into the insert of your pressure cooker and pour in 1 cup of water. Combine 1 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, black pepper and salt and rub this mixture all over the beef ribs. Place the beef ribs on the rack, so they are above the water underneath.
- Put the lid on, make sure the valve is in the sealed position, then cook on Manual HIGH Pressure for 30 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes (do not open the valve for 10 minutes after the 30 minute cook time is over). Once it’s released naturally for 10 minutes, finish with a quick release (open the valve).
- Meanwhile combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on in your oven and place the beef short ribs on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush the sauce on all sides of the ribs and broil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until the sauce becomes glossy and sticky. Garnish with the sesame seeds and green onions if desired. Enjoy!
You can use pork ribs in place of the beef ribs if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: