This grilled Chicken Souvlaki recipe makes the most tender and juicy seasoned chicken breast wrapped up into a pita sandwich!
Get ready to embark on a flavorful journey to Greece with our delicious homemade Chicken Souvlaki recipe. Bursting with incredible flavors and made with simple ingredients, this classic Greek street food is a surefire way to satisfy your cravings for authentic street food right in the comfort of your own home.
Grilled Chicken Souvlaki
Fire up the grill and dive into the world of tender marinated chicken pitas, vibrant herbs, and creamy tzatziki sauce. It’s time to create a culinary masterpiece that will transport you to the bustling streets of Greece with every mouthwatering bite of this iconic and beloved dish!
Ingredients for Chicken Souvlaki
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make these easy chicken pita sandwiches. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil – Extra Virgin Olive Oil is best!
- Cavender’s Greek Seasoning – You can also make your own homemade Greek seasoning if you prefer!
For the Pitas
- Medium Pita Bread – You can use regular or whole wheat, depending on your personal preference!
- Tzaziki Sauce – You can use store-bought tzatziki or make your own homemade tzatziki sauce!
- Fresh Baby Spinach – chopped Romaine lettuce will work too.
- Feta Cheese – Crumbled.
- Tomatoes – Sliced.
- Red Onion – Thinly sliced.
- English Cucumber – Thinly sliced.
How to Make Chicken Souvlaki Pitas
If you follow my simple steps for making this recipe, you’ll be shocked at how juicy the chicken breast is when it’s finished.
Pound the Chicken
Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. This is a crucial step in producing a juicy grilled chicken breast.
Marinate Chicken Breast
Place chicken in a zip loc bag with olive oil and Greek seasoning. Smoosh marinade ingredients around to evenly coat the chicken. Let marinate for about 10-15 minutes for the most flavorful chicken!
Fire Up the Grill
Heat grill or George Foreman grill, and grill chicken on medium-high heat until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side.
I love using the indoor grill for this because it actually cooks it way faster and makes it easy for clean up.
Cut Into Strips
Remove from grill, place on a plate, then loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Slice chicken into strips or bite size pieces.
Assemble the Souvlaki Pita
Fill your warm pita bread with pieces of chicken and some of your favorite toppings! Some great options are sliced red onions, diced tomatoes, kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, red wine vinegar, and fresh herbs like parsley or dill.
This is one of those easy meals that everyone can assemble their own sandwich with toppings of their choice.
What To Serve with Chicken Souvlaki
Looking for some Mediterranean cuisine side dish inspiration? I’ve got you covered with these bright and delicious recipes…
- Lemon Dill Roasted Potatoes
- Vegetable Rice Pilaf
- Creamy Greek Potato Salad
- Refreshing Greek Pasta Salad
What is the main difference between Souvlaki Chicken and chicken gyros?
The main difference lies in the preparation and presentation. Chicken souvlaki consists of marinated grilled chicken, while chicken gyros typically involve thinly sliced meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie.
Both are incredibly delicious and popular Greek dishes!
Can I make a chicken pita without an outdoor grill?
Absolutely! If you don’t have access to an outdoor grill, you can still achieve fantastic results using a grill pan on your stove top. It’s a convenient and easy way to cook the marinated chicken pieces to perfection.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs in place of chicken breast. Chicken thighs work wonderfully in this recipe. They provide extra juiciness and flavor to the dish. Make sure you’re using boneless, skinless chicken thighs and simply adjust the cooking time accordingly, as thighs may require a few additional minutes.
Can I make authentic chicken souvlaki ahead of time?
Definitely! Chicken souvlaki is a great option for meal prep. Marinate the chicken ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, until ready to cook.
How to Store
Store leftover cooked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Store cooked chicken in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
We’re never in a shortage of delicious ways to serve chicken. Here are a few more easy chicken recipes I think you’ll really love.
- Thai Chicken Satay
- Chicken Alfredo Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Dinner
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake
I can’t wait for you to give this easy Chicken Souvlaki Pita sandwich recipe a try. I know you’re going to love it as much as we do!
Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Pita
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
For The Pitas
- 3 medium Pita Bread
- 1 recipe Tzaziki Sauce,
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup purple onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Pound chicken breasts to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. Place chicken in a zip close bag with olive oil and greek seasoning. Smoosh around to evenly coat with seasoning and olive oil and let marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat grill or George Foreman grill, and grill chicken until internal temp reaches 165 degrees, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill, place on plate then loosely cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Slice chicken into strips.
- Construct pita sandwich as you desire, with spinach leaves, tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, tomato slices, cucumbers and purple onion. Enjoy!