If you’re looking for some new recipes to use up that leftover ham, boy do I have a delicious dinner option for you.
This Cheesy Leftover Ham and Rice Casserole is so easy to make: all you do is toss everything together and bake!
You know I super-dooper love casseroles.
Is that weird?
I especially love it when casserole recipes are as easy as this one. I had some leftover Ham and a bunch of uncooked rice in my pantry and this cheesy concoction came together.
I used the basic idea from the classic Campbell’s chicken and rice casserole, but tweaked it slightly.
Instead of cream of chicken soup, I used their cheddar soup. So not only does this casserole get topped with cheese, but the rice, ham and broccoli are also cooked in a cheesy soup mixture. It’s basically a cheese-lover’s dream.
And we all know how good cheese is for you! 🙂 (It’s all those nutrients from the milk)
No worries if you’re not a fan of Ham. This recipe is easily adaptable to be made with leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken.
You can add in sliced carrots, peas, cauliflower… basically, go crazy with it. Make it your own.
But first… definitely try out this ham, rice and broccoli combo. It’s killer.
It’s one of those comfort food recipes that you’ll be making over and over again.
My whole family loved this. I know yours will too!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
UPDATED RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS:
When you’re done baking the casserole for 60 minutes, there will be a layer of liquid on the top. This does NOT mean that the rice did not get cooked through. Simply remove the casserole from the oven, give it a good stir to mix in the liquid and fluff the rice. Top with cheese and finish baking.Print
Cheesy Leftover Ham and Rice Casserole with Broccoli
This Cheesy Leftover Ham and Rice Casserole recipe is a great way to use up some leftover Ham from the holidays! Plus you can easily substitute in leftover turkey or chicken too!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 2 (10 oz) cans Cheese Soup (found by the cream soups)
- 2 and 2/3 cups water
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
- 3 cups broccoli florets (I used fresh, but you could substitute with frozen)
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the soup, water, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in the rice, broccoli and ham.
- Pour mixture into a 9″x13″ casserole dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the rice is tender. THE CASSEROLE WILL LOOK WATERY, BUT IT WILL BE COOKED! Stir the casserole to fluff the rice, then top with the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
Use equal amounts leftover turkey or shredded chicken in lieu of the ham. If you’re not a fan of broccoli, try sliced carrots, cauliflower, peas and/or corn.
Keywords: cheesy, leftover, ham, rice, casserole, broccoli