These gooey Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats are simple to make and have a sweet and nutty taste in each bite.
In my opinion, the perfect rice krispie treat is both soft and chewy, not too buttery and not too stiff. The texture should be pillowy, yet still slightly firm to the touch.
There should be a touch of salt added at the end to enhance and balance the flavor of the sweet marshmallows.
Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats
If you follow my simple steps, you’ll learn how to create the very BEST rice krispie treats. They are so easy to customize with fun flavors, but nothing beats the original.
This rice krispie recipe is just like the original recipe with one slight difference that makes a HUGE flavor impact.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this rice krispie recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Vanilla Extract
- Puffed Rice Cereal
PRO TIP: Keep a small handful of mini marshmallows to the side and toss them in at the very end when you’re mixing it all together.
How To Make Recipe
My favorite, and fool-proof way to make rice krispie treats is on the stove top. Some people swear by using the microwave, but I just don’t think you get the same results as using a heavy pot on the stove.
BROWN BUTTER Start by melting the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Let the butter melt and stir often, until it turns a golden brown and has a nutty aroma. This should take about 5 to 8 minutes.
ADD MARSHMALLOWS Once the butter is browned, add in the mini marshmallows and stir until it’s smooth and the marshmallows have melted completely.
ADD CEREAL Remove the marshmallow mixture from the stove top and stir in the vanilla extract, sea salt and rice cereal. Just before you’re finished coating the cereal, toss in a cup of mini marshmallows.
The marshmallows will melt ever so slightly in the warmth of the cereal, but should still retain most of their shape, leaving little bits of marshmallow throughout.
Let the rice krispies cool and then you can slice into squares and enjoy.
It’s amazing how quickly these browned butter rice krispie treats disappear! You might want to make a double batch.
Why Are My Rice Krispie Treats Hard?
One of the biggest mistakes that can be made when making rice krispie treats is to have them turn out rock hard. Attempting to bite into one of these and you’re bound to scratch the roof of your mouth.
WHAT HAPPENED –
- You over cooked your marshmallow mixture
- There’s not enough butter
- Pressing the treats too hard into the pan
THE SOLUTION – The obvious solution is to do the opposite of what caused the treats to become too stiff.
Why Are My Rice Krispie Treats Too Soft?
The biggest reason rice krispie treats can turn out too soft is if too much butter is used.
When using an excessive amount of butter, you’ll end up with a soft rice krispie treat that doesn’t want to hold together. They will easily fall apart and leave your hands greasy.
Are they still delicious? Sure! It’s sugar and rice cereal after all. Just not ideal.
More Rice Krispie Treat Recipes
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these ones too!
- Butterfinger Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Scotcharoos
- Candy Corn Rice Krispie Treats
- S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
I can’t wait for you to give this simple recipe a try! Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup butter, salted
- 10 oz mini marshmallows, reserve 1 cup to stir in at the end
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- ¼ tsp sea salt, flaked
- Coat a 9"x9" baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat butter over medium heat. Stir often until butter is melted and begins to toast lightly. The color should turn a golden brown and give a nutty smell. This should take about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the marshmallows to the browned butter (reserve 1 cup for the end). Stir until marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour in the puffed rice cereal and sea salt and stir to coat. Finally, stir in the remaining 1 cup of mini marshmallows and fold into the treats. Quickly pour this mixture into the prepared pan and gently press down. *use a sheet of parchment paper on top of the treats to keep your fingers clean while pressing down
- Let the treats cool before slicing into squares and enjoying!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE