Butterfinger Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are a fun, chocolate and peanut butter twist on the classic rice krispie treat!
The rice krispie treat is one of those iconic childhood treats that never seems to get old. I have memories making them with my own mom; our aprons on, hands sticky, eating an extra marshmallow every chance we could get. Now, as a mom myself, I share these same memories with my own child.
These sweet little cereal bars are a little piece of happiness and a whole lot of memories.
They’re also a million times easier to make than cupcakes or cake (or is that just me?), don’t require baking, can be prepared ahead of time and travel well.
Basically, rice krispie treats are my bff.
But, sometimes a girl needs chocolate – like these Chocolate Bark Brownies or these Super Easy Acorn Donut Hole People.
For today, however, I needed chocolate Rice Krispie Treats.
They’re an easy, awesome, family favorite and that’s how the story ends…
Big fat lies.
That is NOT how this story ends.
Easy, perfect, awesome, yes, that is all true; but the story does not end there.
I went to the market, grabbed marshmallows and chocolate rice krispies and was on my out when THE CANDY AISLE happened…
Usually fairly self controlled, I was beginning to feel inspired (and hungry) by all the “fun size” Halloween candy bars. It was meant to be.
I started tossing bag after bag in my cart, quickly turning my two-item trip into Halloween candy Supermarket Sweep.
I drove home feeling quite accomplished, immediately dumping out the ridiculous quantity of Halloween candy on my dining room table and came up with a plan.
Following the lead of my stomach (always my most trusted guide) it was easy to decide what would go in these bars – peanut butter. After all, chocolate and peanut butter are bffs and my favorite.
I used whole peanut butter cups cut into quarters, but any and all peanut butter cups would taste awesome. I also decided to use mini Butterfinger bars and cut them in half; this way I would get surprise chunks of Butterfinger and every bite would be a little different from the one before.
These bars did not last long in my house. Fortunately, Halloween is just around the corner and they make the perfect dumping place for all that leftover candy!
Butterfinger Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chocolate Rice Krispies, mini marshmallows, halved Butterfinger bars and quartered peanut butter cups. Gently toss to mix and set aside.
- In the top pan (or bowl) of a double boiler over low heat add the chocolate. As the chocolate begins to melt, stir continuously with a wood spoon taking care not to allow any steam or moisture to escape from the pot below. With the chocolate almost melted, stir in the peanut butter, honey or maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Gently stir until fully combined.
- Remove the melted chocolate peanut butter mixture from the heat and set aside to cool for approximately 5 minutes or so.
- When cool enough to handle, pour the chocolate mixture directly over the cereal mixture, stirring to evenly distribute the chocolate and peanut butter with the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press firmly into the bottom. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. When fully cooled remove from the pan and cut into desired number of bars. Enjoy!