These Super Easy Cherry Turnovers are one of the easiest desserts to make and the fastest to disappear!
A few weeks ago I took my kids into an Arby’s for lunch. It had been years since I had been in there, but I was really craving some curly fries.
After we finished our lunch, my kids begged me for one of their turnovers that they have conveniently displayed behind the counter.
Who I am to deny my kids a cherry turnover?!
After we inhaled our turnovers, I got to thinking…
These are incredible, and probably SUUUUUPER simple to make at home.
I immediately drove to the store and got the 2 ingredients I needed to make them.
All you need is a package of frozen puff pastry dough, a can of cherry pie filling (other pie fillings would work too!), and an egg white!
If you want to make the vanilla glaze that goes on top (you do, you really do), then you’ll just need some powdered sugar, milk and a tiny bit of vanilla extract!
Now, when I first made these turnovers I simply pinched the seams closed and hoped for the best.
While the turnovers opened up and lots of cherry filling came out, they still tasted amazing.
Second time around I brushed the edges of the pastry dough with egg whites, which helped to seal them closed.
That did the trick.
Then I brushed the tops with the same egg whites to give it a nice and flaky top.
While some filling my find it’s way out, I think it only adds to the appeal.
I mean… I really want another cherry turnover RIGHT NOW!!
I recommend waiting till the turnovers cool before attempting to drizzle the thick vanilla glaze on top. The warmth from the turnovers will melt it pretty quick.
These turnovers taste exactly like the ones at Arby’s and I could not be happier.
They’re light, flaky and perfectly sweet.
We had no trouble devouring these. In fact, I’m planning on making another batch of these this Fourth of July weekend.
Some with blueberry filling and some with cherry! How cute will those be?!?
You’re just a few simple ingredients away from one out of this world dessert!!Print
Super Easy Cherry Turnovers
Super Easy Cherry Turnovers are one of the easiest desserts to make and the fastest to disappear!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box Puff Pastry Dough (found in the freezer section), thawed according to package instructions
- 1 (21oz) can Cherry Pie filling
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Unwrap both of the puff pastry doughs and cut into 8 squares (4 from each dough).
- Place a heaping tablespoon or two of cherry pie filling in the center of each square. Brush the edges of the squares with the egg white and fold over to enclose the pie filling.
- Bake on an un-greased baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
To make vanilla glaze:
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour in a frosting bag or zip close bag then snip off the tip or corner to pipe on the cooled turnovers. Enjoy!
You can use any type of pie filling in place of the cherry. Or, use a tablespoon of Nutella for a chocolate turnover!
Keywords: easy, cherry pie filling, turnovers, puff pastry
You may also enjoy these: