These Cherry Ripe Slice bars are an Australian, no bake, triple layered dessert that is bursting with cherry and coconut flavor.
When I moved to Canada I became friends with an Australian family and they introduced me to a lot of delicious Aussie recipes and treats. One of which were these Cherry Ripe Slice.
My friend would talk about these no bake bars constantly. They were a traditional treat served in his house around the holidays. He gave me his mother’s recipe, and I did my best to convert the measurements and find suitable replacements for the ingredients that are only found in Australia. So now you can make this classic Australian dessert with this simple recipe!
The original recipe calls for “Copha” which can be purchased on Amazon, but it’s similar to coconut oil so that is what I used.
My friend suggested that I use more red food coloring next time. I used just 3 drops, but he says the color should be more dark red (this is obviously a personal preference, as the food coloring does not change the taste of the bar).
In the original recipe it calls for “Morning Coffee Biscuits,” which is an Australian ingredient that I couldn’t find in Canada. My friend suggested that the Arrowroot biscuits would be a similar texture and flavor, so I subbed those in. Next time I make these I’m going to try it with graham crackers instead.
One last thing – he recommends keeping these bars in the freezer and just cutting off a slice whenever you want one. You’ll want to at least keep them in the fridge so the coconut oil can stay hard.
I loved how quickly the bars came together, and I especially loved the combination of coconut and cherries covered in chocolate. What’s not to love about that?!
Cherry Ripe Slice
Cherry Ripe Slice is an indulgent no-bake dessert bursting with cherry and coconut flavor!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 12 to 13 Arrowroot biscuits (baby biscuits)
- 3/4 cup glace cherries
- 10oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 1/4 desiccated coconut (finely chopped, non sweetened)
- 1 cup dark chocolate candy melts
- Line an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with parchment paper, so the paper comes up the sides of the pan.
- Place the biscuits (whole) in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Since the cookies are slightly rounded, I broke up smaller pieces of another biscuit to fill any gaps.
- Finely chop the cherries in your food processor or blender then place in a bowl. Add the sweetened condensed milk, melted coconut oil and coconut to the bowl. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture over the cookies and smooth into an even layer.
- Melt the dark chocolate candy melts according to package instructions and pour over the top of the coconut layer. Place the bars in the fridge or freezer until firm (about 2 hours).
- Cut into small squares to serve.
After the bars have been in the fridge or freezer for about 10 minutes, I take them out and score the top of the chocolate (make lines in the chocolate with a knife where I am going to cut into bars). This makes it easier to cut when the bars have hardened.
- Serving Size: 20
You may also like these Australian Yum Yum Balls!