It seems that Summer is coming to a close and I’m not sure how that’s possible, as I’m pretty sure I just got done ringing in the New Year.
I’m not going to let this summer go without throwing a fantastic end of summer BBQ bash, and I think you should do the same. With a special thanks to California Avocados, I’m sharing some of my favorite avocado BBQ dishes, including this new Spicy Guacamole Bacon Burger!
It’s no surprise that I love those creamy California Avocados, but when I added some chipotle chili peppers to my guacamole, my love intensified.
Holy smokes guys. This burger is what dreams are made of. My husband said it was the best burger he’s ever had.
I’d have to agree with him. (You can control the spice of the guac by using more or less of the chipotle chili peppers, so make it your own and don’t fear the heat).
Just imagine how much fun it will be when you throw your own backyard bash to finish off the summer!
Here are some of the dishes that I used:
Shrimp Taco Bites – always a crowd favorite!
Creamy Avocado Pasta Salad – I added some crumbled feta this time… superb!
Mexican Grilled Corn – is there really any other way to eat grilled corn?!
Have you ever picked up some California Avocados and realized they weren’t ripe yet? Want to know a trick to quicken their ripening time?
To ripen a California avocado, place the fruit in a paper bag with an apple for two to five days at room temperature (apples accelerate the process by giving off ethylene, a ripening agent). When the avocados yield to gentle pressure, they are ready!
If you have too many ripe avocados and can’t use them fast enough, then use my tutorial on How to Freeze an Avocado to preserve them for up to 5 months!
Don’t worry guys, I’ve got you covered when it comes to avocados! 😉
There are a few components to the Spicy Guacamole Burger that are necessity.
I made a chipotle mayo (which is super simple), as well as my spicy guacamole. But then there are things like pickled jalapeños, crispy thick cut bacon, and cheddar cheese that are really going to take your burger to the next level.
Even the burger itself is sporting some spice. I combined ground beef with ground chorizo sausage to make the burger patties. It’s a delicious combo that should happen every time you make burgers.
I hope this inspires you to pick up some California Avocados and have a fun, “End of Summer BBQ Bash” of your own!
Spicy Guacamole Bacon Burger
Spicy Guacamole Bacon Burger is must for your next BBQ, it’s a burger packed with flavor!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
For the Burger Patty:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground chorizo sausage, removed from casings if necessary
For the Spicy Guacamole:
- 3 large California Avocados
- 1/3 cup finely diced purple onion
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp milk
Other toppings for burgers:
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Crispy thick cut bacon
- Sliced cheddar cheese
- 8 Hamburger Buns
To make the patties:
- Combine the ground beef and chorizo in a large bowl and work with your hands until it’s completely mixed together. Use your hands to form the meat into 8 equal size burger patties. Season with salt and pepper and grill over medium heat until cooked to your desired doneness.
To make the Spicy Guacamole:
- Remove the peel and pit from the avocados and place in a medium size bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until you’ve reached your desired consistency. Add the remaining ingredients for the guacamole to the bowl. *Remove the seeds from the chipotle chili pepper to reduce the heat of the guacamole, or add more peppers to increase the heat.
- Stir the guacamole ingredients together, taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
To make the Chipotle Mayo:
- Combine the mayo and chipotle chili pepper in a blender or food processor (remove seeds to reduce heat) and add 1 tsp of milk, blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed to make the mayo a little thinner.
- Spread the chipotle mayo on both the top and bottom bun, layer on lettuce, tomato slices, guacamole, grilled hamburger, cheddar cheese, and bacon. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8
Disclosure: I am honored to have a long term, compensated relationship as a brand ambassador for California Avocados. All opinions expressed are my own! For more great recipes featuring California Avocados, be certain to visit the recipe section of their website.