I can’t even express how much I love these California Avocado Chicken Sliders. These mini chicken burgers are stuffed with caramelized onions, topped with cheese, bacon and more cheese. And of course… glorious California Avocado!
A few weeks ago I went grocery shopping while I was hungry.
That was such a rookie move, but I did it anyways. I ended up with all sorts of delicious and weird things in my shopping cart like mint Oreos, salt and vinegar kettle chips (4-ever!), and these refrigerated chicken meatballs that were studded with caramelized onions.
I ate the Oreos and chips first.
Later that week I opened up those meatballs and threw them in some broth with some veggies and ramen for a quick dinner.
Um… those meatballs were more like amaze-balls. I immediately wanted to stuff caramelized onions into everything. So I did.
Can we all jump for joy for a moment?! It’s officially the start of California Avocado season!! This is my third year working with the California Avocado Commision to create recipes using their gorgeous green fruits and I still get giddy with excitement.
There really is nothing quite like a creamy California Avocado. Especially when you add it to a caramelized onion-stuffed chicken burger.
You can’t forget the bacon. California avocado and bacon are what make a recipe “Californian” after all.
These little chicken sliders are perfect on the grill or baked in the oven (in case you’re still experiencing a cold front and want to make these asap).
We just got smacked in the face with a cold front last night. It dropped the high temperature down by 20 degrees! 20 degreeeeees!! And it’s super windy outside too. Last night I thought our roof was going to fly away, it was that windy! I was planning to go for a jog this morning (since I’m training for a marathon and all) but decided it was probably safer to just stay indoors today and watch reruns of Property Brothers.
But seriously guys, these sliders are amazing. The sweet and rich flavor from the chicken patties are a perfect match for the crispy and smoky bacon and creamy avocado. It’s a match made in heaven.
Hooray for California Avocado Season!!
California Avocado Chicken Sliders
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb. raw ground chicken
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley, or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 large California Avocado, pitted and sliced
- 5 strips thick cut bacon, cooked crisp
- 5 1oz slices white sharp cheddar cheese, cut into quarters
- 10 soft rolls, I used Hawaiian Rolls
- Start by caramelizing your onions. Heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add your diced onion. Stir occasionally, letting the onion soften and turn a golden brown (about 5 minutes). Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to the pan and stir to coat the onions, letting them caramelize even further (about 2 minutes). Remove pan from heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the ground chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the caramelized onions and mix completely. If the mixture is too sticky add more breadcrumbs. Form the chicken mixture into 10 equal size mini-patties. Grill the patties over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or bake on a lightly greased baking sheet in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes, flipping over half way.
- Top each chicken patty with 1/4 slice of cheese, followed by two small pieces of cooked bacon and another 1/4 slice of cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve on top of sliced California Avocado on a soft roll.
Disclosure: I am honored to have a long term, compensated relationship as a brand ambassador for California Avocados. All opinions expressed are my own! For more great recipes featuring California Avocados, be certain to visit the recipe section of their website!