After making this Tagalong Pound Cake, it didn’t take me long to figure out it would taste equally as delicious in it’s sister’s minty form. That’s when this Super Easy Thin Mint Pound Cake was born.
I went back and forth on how to give this pound cake it’s chocolate mint filling. My first instinct was to crush mint flavored Oreos and then cover them with chocolate on top of a pre made pound cake.
… which I still think is a delicious idea.
BUT…I wanted to give it a creamy texture. Something that melts in your mouth, right along side of that delicious pound cake.
That’s when I decided to make a super-quick chocolate peppermint patty to press on top of the pound cake.
Then I smothered it with chocolate candy melts, and BAM!
It was done. You seriously can’t beat that!
To make the chocolate peppermint patty, simply combine some powdered sugar, butter, cream, cocoa powder and peppermint extract in a bowl and beat until the mixture comes together and is almost play-doh like.
Shape the peppermint patty mixture between two sheets of wax paper until it’s the same length and width of your pound cake. Lay it on top and gently press it into the pound cake so it adheres.
Melt some chocolate candy melts according to package instructions and pour it over the top, letting it run down the sides. Once the chocolate sets you’re ready to enjoy!
I cut this pound cake up into little slices and took them to two of my nephew’s soccer game to pass out as treats. I had never been to one of their soccer games before. They’re nothing more than just a simple city league, 9 to 10 year old boys, chasing after a ball.
As I was sitting on the side-lines watching the game go on, I became more and more vocal. Shouting and cheering, yelling and waving my arms wildly towards one end of the field or the other…
It was scary guys.
I became a soccer mom.
And my son wasn’t even playing.
My son was actually sitting next to me. And to my surprise, he nudged me and told me that he wanted to join the soccer team!
I grew up playing sports. I was actually a collegiate swimmer back in the day, and still compete (every once in a while) in triathlons and will be running my first marathon this fall (eek!).
So yes, I think I will sign my son up for soccer… as long as I can be “that mom” on the sidelines and bring treats like this Thin Mint Pound Cake… I’m in!
Even if you’re not into soccer, this girl-scout cookie inspired cake is sure to hit the spot!
Super Easy Thin Mint Pound Cake
- 1 frozen pound cake, 16oz Family Size , thawed (or homemade pound cake if desired)
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 oz. chocolate candy melts
- Remove pound cake from package and place on a sheet of wax paper and set aside.
- Combine the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter, peppermint extract and heavy cream in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on low speed until mixture comes together. Increase speed to medium and beat until a play-doh texture forms (about 2 minutes). If the dough is too sticky, add more powdered sugar.
- Place dough on a sheet of wax paper and quickly shape into the same width and length as the pound cake, then lay it on top of the cake, gently pressing down so it adheres.
- Melt the candy melts according to package instructions and pour over the top of the cake, letting is drip down the sides. Let cool until firm. Cut into slices and serve. Enjoy!