I don’t really know how to start this post.
Today is the 14th anniversary of that tragic September 11th that we all will never forget. I know I will never forget how the events of that day played out in my life. I’ll never forget exactly what I was doing, how I found out, watching it all unfold on the TV. Thinking, this must not be real. But it was.
I remember the unity that our country felt after that day. I remember all the American flags flying high. I remember all the lives that were lost, the tears, the sadness, the unknown.
I hope you’ll take the time to ponder about that day and what it has meant in your life. And while you’re at it… make some chili…
Ok, well forgive me. There is no easy way to transition into a recipe after that. But I do have an awesome Smoky White Chicken Chili recipe that I have been dying to share with you now that Fall weather is finally starting to creep in.
This morning I woke up and went outside to send my kids off to school.
The air had a slightly cool feeling to it. I live in the desert once again, so this morning chill was a welcome feeling. It won’t be long till the weather cools down enough to open the windows at night and to warm up with a bowl of chili.
Chili is one of my favorite things to make. I have my slow cooker Thick and Hearty Chili that is a family favorite, but I thought I would switch things up a bit with this simple stove-top version.
It’s creamy thanks to the cream cheese and California Avocado, but I also gave it a smoky and spicy kick with a little bit of chipotle chili peppers.
It’s amazing with some crumbled tortilla chips and a drizzle of my Avocado and Tomatillo Crema on top.
I make a large batch of this and use it on salads too. It’s a cool and creamy sauce that has a nice zip to it.
It’s the perfect match to this warm bowl of chili. And with this whole pot of chili ready in less than 30 minutes, it’s definitely a Fall favorite you can go back to time and time again.
Grab a spoon and dig in!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Smoky White Chicken Chili
For the Chili:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cannellini beans, 15oz. cans, drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 2 cups prepared salsa verde
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
For the Chili:
- Bring the broth and chicken to a small boil in a large pot. Add one can and half of the other can of beans to the pot.
- Take 1/2 cup of the broth from the pot and pour it into a blender or food processor with the remaining 1/2 can of beans. Add the cumin and chipotle chili peppers to the blender and process until smooth. Stir back into the pot along with the salsa verde and cream cheese cubes. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the cream cheese has dissolved into the chili. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Avocado Tomatillo Crema:
- Combine the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Pour in a dressing bottle and drizzle over the chili.
- Top the chili with optional toppings if desired: Crushed tortilla chips, diced California Avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, diced green onions, etc. Enjoy!
disclosure: This post is in partnership with California Avocados. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.
More Chili recipes you might enjoy: