This Super Easy French Toast Casserole Recipe is soaked in an egg mixture overnight, topped with a brown sugar crumble and then baked to perfection!
One of my favorite things about this super easy baked french toast recipe is that you can easily prep it the night before, pop it in the oven in the morning and breakfast is ready! I love serving this on Holiday weekends, or when we have company in town because it’s a no-brainer.
- Start by cutting up the bread into 1 inch cubes and placing them in a greased 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract until a light pale color.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cubed bread, making sure to coat each piece.
What Kind Of Bread Is Best For French Toast?
The easiest bread to get ahold of is a loaf of french bread, and this will work just great. You can also use sourdough, challah, brioche, or any other type of hearty bread with a mild flavor to it.
You’ll want to stay away from using thin sandwich bread slices for this casserole, as it wont hold up well in the french toast bake.
- Try to find a loaf of bread that you can cut into cubes that are about 1 inch.
- Stale or dry bread will work great in overnight bakes because it’ll really have a chance to soak up the egg mixture.
Once you’ve got the egg mixture over the bread, you’ll whip up a super easy brown sugar crumble. This stuff really takes the french toast casserole to the next level!
Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
In the morning just remove the plastic wrap and pop the super easy French Toast Casserole recipe into the oven and bake until the center is set!
The fragrance of vanilla and maple mixed with brown sugar will surely wake everyone up with a smile.
Can You Reheat Baked French Toast?
Yes! If for some reason you happen to have leftovers of this delicious casserole, you can definitely reheat them!
- You can reheat individual slices of french toast in the microwave until headed through.
- My personal favorite way to reheat french toast is in my toaster oven, so it gets nice and crispy on the top again.
What Goes With French Toast For Brunch?
French toast goes perfectly with fresh berries, bananas and melons. You can also pair it with scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage for a more hearty breakfast or brunch.
Try topping this super easy French Toast Casserole with my Buttermilk Syrup for an extra special breakfast treat!
More Easy French Toast Recipes:
- Classic French Toast is ready in just 15 minutes!
- Pumpkin French Toast Casserole is a fun fall-flavored breakfast.
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole is topped with crispy tater tots!
- Maple French Toast Muffins are the perfect on-the-go breakfast treat!
You’re going to LOVE this super easy breakfast casserole!Print
Easy French Toast Casserole Recipe
This super easy French Toast Casserole Recipe is soaked in an egg mixture overnight, topped with a brown sugar crumble and then baked to perfection!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 55
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 loaf (about 15oz.) French Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (2% or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
The Night Before:
- Lightly grease a 9×13″ casserole dish and place cubed bread in an even layer in dish. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a large bowl until mixture is pale yellow. Pour mixture over the bread, trying to coat each piece of bread.
- In a separate small bowl combine the topping ingredients and use a fork or pastry cutter to combine, until mixture is coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bread. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight (or for at least 4 hours).
In the Morning:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unwrap casserole dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until middle of casserole is set. If the top begins to brown too much, lightly lay a piece of foil over the top and continue baking until finished.
- Let sit for a few minutes before slicing and enjoying!
If desired, you can drizzle a powdered sugar glaze over the top of the warm casserole. Combine 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tbsp of milk and whisk to combine. Drizzle over casserole.
Keywords: French Toast, Bake, Casserole, Overnight
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: