If we’re going to get technical, these Maple French Toast Muffins are more like a Maple Bread Pudding in muffin/cupcake form.
But I think these are splendid for a weekend breakfast, so I am sticking with the “Maple French Toast Muffins” name.
You can thank me later.
A couple weeks ago my kids brought home two bags full of random types of rolls from school. I had so much bread on my hands and I didn’t think we would be able to eat all of it before it went moldy. Not to mention the rolls were already well on their way to being classified as “stale.”
So I chopped them all up into little bread cubes and mixed them together with a milk and maple concoction, then baked it till it was golden brown on top. My kids loved it, my husband loved it, I posted a picture on Instagram and even you loved it.
I knew I had to recreate the goodness for you right here.
Milk is the base ingredient in this delightful breakfast/dessert.
Do you know how important it is to make sure you get 3 servings of dairy a day? One cup of milk is packed with powerful nutrients like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin, and niacin (niacin equivalents). If you’re interested in how each of these nutrients benefit your body, you can read all about them on the Dairy Council of Arizona’s website!
But in the meantime, let’s get making these muffins!
I used 100% Pure maple syrup with the milk, and while it can be a little on the expensive side to buy the real stuff, I assure you it is worth every penny. It’s a natural sweetener (no high fructose corn syrup).
Divide the soaked bread mixture among the lightly greased muffin tin, then sprinkle with just a little bit of sugar.
Bake until golden brown on top.
You can serve these warm with a little extra maple syrup on top for one out of this world breakfast…
You can serve it with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on top for dessert.
I’m kinda sorta in love with it.
Drizzle a little more of that liquid gold on top…
Don’t you just love the multi-functionability of these Maple French Toast Muffins??
Breakfast? dessert? Breakfast for dessert? Dessert for breakfast?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Maple French Toast Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the diced bread in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together the milk, butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and raisins. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and gently stir the bread to make sure it gets coated in the milk. Let the bread sit for 5-10 minutes until it is all wet. Scoop evenly into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the liquid in the muffins has set.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before running a knife around the edges of the muffins to help remove them. Serve warm by itself or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top (optional).
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
disclaimer: This post is in partnership with the Arizona Milk Producers, reminding you to get 3 servings of dairy a day! I was compensated for my time and efforts. All thoughts and opinions are my own.