These Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins are enhanced with fresh orange zest and cranberries in a moist little bundle.
Believe it or not, this year was the first time that I had ever made fresh cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving to go along with our turkey.
I had never tried turkey with cranberry sauce, but once I did I was totally blown away by how delicious the combination actually was. Since I had leftover fresh cranberries in my house I decided I would make some muffins to use them up. I added in a bunch of orange zest, just like I did in my cranberry sauce and they turned out so amazing!
Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe:
- The base of the muffins starts with butter and cream cheese. The cream cheese really helps to make these muffins stay extra moist, with a deliciously creamy texture that lasts for days.
- When mixing the muffin batter I found it easiest to use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment, but a hand mixer would also work well.
- Make sure to beat the cream cheese, butter and sugar mixer until light and fluffy to ensure the best texture for these muffins.
Fresh or Frozen Cranberries?
- You can use either fresh or frozen cranberries for these muffins, but I would steer away from trying to use dried cranberries as I don’t think they would work well with this recipe.
- If you’re not a fan of cranberries try using fresh or frozen raspberries, or blueberries instead!
My favorite part about these Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins is the way the cranberries break down after being baked and are soft and almost burst in your mouth. They are slightly tart which balances out perfectly with the creamy base of the muffins and the sweet powdered sugar icing on top.
I think you’re really going to like these tender little muffins!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh, or frozen cranberries
- 2 tsp orange zest
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cold milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a muffin tin with paper cups, then set aside.
- Cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each one. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Meanwhile combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients to the wet ones, just until moistened (do not over mix).
- Fold in the cranberries and orange zest, then divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the icing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled muffins. Keep muffins stored in an airtight container. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: