Switch up that boring old meatloaf with this Asian Inspired Meatloaf. It’s filled with diced shitake mushrooms to keep it extra moist and topped with a sweet and spicy sriracha glaze for a nice punch of flavor.
I did a crazy thing yesterday.
I went and bought 5 baby chicks. As in chickens. As in, hello, I’m now a farmer… except not really.
We’re in cuteness overload overhere.
They’re just so darn fluffy and adorable and I simply couldn’t resist. To be honest, it has been my dream for many years to own my own chickens. It was almost fate when the house that we bought just so happen to also have a chicken coop in the backyard.
Ok, that might have been the swaying factor for me to purchase the house…
I’m super excited to be able to wake up and get some fresh eggs from our own backyard.
Since my kids are allergic to dogs and cats, having chickens seems like the next best thing to a pet for our family. In fact, the baby chicks reminded me of little puppies last night when they were chirping very loudly whenever they were left alone in their little cardboard box.
Eventually they calmed down and went to sleep. They’ll have to stay inside with us for the next 4 to 6 weeks, so I’m not really sure what I got myself into… I’ll share some pictures of the cute little babies later. 🙂
As for this delicious meatloaf, it’s filled with shiitake mushrooms (though a simple white button mushroom would work just fine), green onions, a little hoisin sauce and panko bread crumbs. It’s a fun and simple twist to a classic meatloaf and is great when paired with white rice and my sweet and spicy green beans.
I think the sauce on top is what really seals the deal for me. A mixture of ketchup (of course) a little more hoisin sauce and a dash or two of sriracha hot sauce and this sauce is finger-licking good!
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go stare at my baby chicks because they are just so darn cute.
Asian Inspired Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup diced green onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup diced shiitake mushrooms, white button mushrooms will work too
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
For the top sauce:
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp hoisen sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch casserole dish with tinfoil and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients for the meatloaf in a large bowl and use your hands to thoroughly mix and shape into a meatloaf (about 4 inches x 8 inches) and place in the center of the prepared casserole dish.
- Combine all the ingredients for the top sauce and pour over top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for one hour. Let cool slightly before topping with green onions (if desired) and slicing.