Zesty Grilled Santa Fe Chicken is a delicious grilled chicken breast topped with black beans, zesty sun dried tomatoes and a sprinkle of cheese!
Zesty Grilled Santa Fe Chicken is one of my favorite go-to chicken dinners. The flavors blend so perfectly together and all you need is a side salad to make it a full meal!
The chicken is marinated in lime juice and then grilled to perfection. To make it a complete dish, I smothered the tender chicken with black beans, sun dried tomatoes, a pinch of red pepper flakes, fresh chopped cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Then it’s baked till bubbly and fragrant.
This one pan chicken dish comes together fast, with simple ingredients like lime, black beans, sun dried tomatoes, cilantro, and cheddar cheese. My kids love the combination of flavors and I love how easy it is to make.
If you’re not wanting to heat up your oven, place the skillet on your grill and cover until the beans are heated through and the cheese is melted.
Toss the skillet into the oven for just 10 minutes and you will have one tasty meal!
Top with a slice of lime. Obviously.
Zesty Santa Fe Grilled Chicken
The trick to making any grilled chicken super moist is to follow these three steps:
- Gently pound your chicken breast to an even thickness
- Preheat and oil grill grates
- Loosely cover (“tent”) the chicken with foil after baking for at least 5 minutes to let juices redistribute
There are some serious flavors happening here folks.
By marinating the chicken in lime juice you get a hint of tartness. Combine that with the bold flavor of the sun dried tomatoes and black beans and it’s a party in your mouth.
What’s your favorite thing to grill?
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Zesty Grilled Santa Fe Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- 3 limes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place the chicken in a zipclose bag and pour the juice of 2 of the limes into the bag. Let sit marinate in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Turn on grill to medium high.
- Remove the chicken from the lime juice (discard lime juice) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side or until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 155 degrees F.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and place in an oven-safe skillet or dish.
- Top each chicken breast evenly with black beans, sun dried tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, cilantro, and then cheddar cheese.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes to melt cheese and warm ingredients.
- Serve with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Originally published on 6/20/2012. Updated pictures on 7/26/2017
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: