If you have never made a legit ceviche before, this Shrimp Ceviche Tostada is the perfect place to start! Light and refreshing, this no-cook meal will become a family favorite!
A few weeks ago my parents came to my new home town and I wanted to take them to some of my new favorite restaurants. There is this small Mexican restaurant here that serves the most amazing Carne Asada Fries, so obviously I took my parents there.
It happened to be on a day where the daily special was also a Shrimp Ceviche Tostada.
We ordered the fries, plus a tostada.
The crisp corn tortilla was piled high with finely diced shrimp, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro. It came with some sliced avocado on top, which I highly recommend.
It was pure bliss.
I forgot all about the carne asada fries and only dreamt about that shrimp ceviche… for days!
I knew instantly I wanted to make it at home.
I waited for a warm day. You know, one of those days where you simply dread turning on your oven or stove top? Ceviche is the perfect no-cook meal for those hot summer days.
The shrimp start out raw, then sit in a bowl full of fresh lime juice for about 15 minutes. The acidity in the lime juice cooks the shrimp to a perfect tender bite.
The crunch of the cucumber, onion, and jalapeño blend perfectly with the delicate shrimp and creamy avocado.
If you can’t find the crisp tostada shells, you can always just serve these with corn tortilla chips, or on top of a bed of lettuce for a light and refreshing salad!
Seriously, you’re going to l.o.v.e. this.
Shrimp Ceviche Tostada
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, tails removed, diced
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice, about 6 limes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced and peeled cucumber, I prefer English cucumber
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 California Avocado, sliced
- 8 to stada shells
- Salt to taste
- Combine the raw shrimp and lime juice in a large bowl, so lime juice covers shrimp completely. Let sit for 15 minutes, or until shrimp is no longer grey. Drain (DO NOT RINSE) shrimp and discard lime juice.
- Combine the onion, cucumber, jalapeño, tomato and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and mayo and stir to combine.
- Serve on tostada shells with slices of avocado on top. Season with salt to taste. Enjoy!