This incredible Parmesan Crusted Spinach Dip is my copycat version of the Longhorn Steakhouse appetizer. It’s filled with a creamy and cheesy spinach dip and topped with a golden and crispy parmesan crust that’s to die for.
Serve this warm spinach dip with pita chips, veggies or tortilla chips for the ultimate game day appetizer or snack!
My husband and I love going to the Longhorn Steakhouse just for this dip! It’s served with fried pita bread, but when recreating this dish at home I decided to keep it simple by using store bought pita chips as the dipper.
Parmesan Crusted Spinach Dip
This warm spinach dip is filled with cream cheese, sour cream and plenty of spinach. It’s an insanely delicious dip that you won’t be able to keep your hands off.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this Parmesan Crusted Spinach Dip recipe at home. As always, you can find the full list in the printable recipe card below.
- Cream Cheese – softened to room temperature
- Sour Cream
- Frozen Spinach – thawed and squeezed dry
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Salt, Pepper & Parsley
How To Make Spinach Dip
By using frozen chopped spinach, this appetizer actually comes together super quick. Let me walk you through how to piece it all together.
Combine Spinach and Cream Cheese
Start by combining the cream cheese (softened to room temperature), sour cream and frozen spinach in a large bowl.
Add in Cheeses
Next, stir in the garlic, freshly shredded mozzarella cheese and shredded parmesan cheese along with the salt and a dash of crushed red pepper flakes.
Give the ingredients a good mixing so they are evenly combined and then pour the dip into a lightly greased 1.5 quart baking dish.
Bake Spinach Dip
Place the spinach dip in the 375 degree oven and let it bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the dip is warm and bubbly.
Make Parmesan Topping
While the dip is heating up in the oven, start to combine the ingredients for the parmesan crusted topping in a small dish.
Mix together a cup of finely grated parmesan cheese (I find the grated works best for the topping texture) and panko bread crumbs for an added level of crispy, along with just a bit of mayo to bring it all together.
Add Topping and Bake
Sprinkle the parmesan topping over the warmed spinach dip and spread it into an even layer across the dip.
Pop the dip back into the oven for an additional 5 minutes, then turn on the oven’s top broiler and let the parmesan topping get nice and golden brown.
PRO TIP: Make sure to keep an eye on it in the oven when you turn on the broiler. Depending on how close the dip is to the broiler it can take anywhere from just 2 minute up to 5 minutes to get that crispy topping.
What To Serve with Spinach Dip
Spinach dip is filled with savoury cream cheese, garlic and of course spinach… it begs to be served with some salty chips or crackers to balance out the flavors. Here are some more ideas to serve alongside your spinach dip.
- Fresh cut vegetables like: carrots, celery, radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc
- Homemade Naan Bread
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Pita Chips
Make Ahead and Storage
The best thing about this easy spinach dip is that it’s perfect for making ahead of time because it reheats so well!
Once the dip is baked and cooled, you can store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Reheat: I separate the dip into cup size glass containers in the fridge, then I can pop one in the microwave for a minute to reheat and in the air fryer to re-crisp the topping. It’s the perfect midday snack!
Freeze Spinach Dip
You can easily prepare this spinach dip ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Prior to baking, place the mixed spinach dip in the baking dish, cover tightly with plastic wrap and a layer of foil and freeze. I recommend preparing the topping just before baking for ultimate freshness.
*Allow the spinach dip to defrost in the fridge for 24 hours prior to baking.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes! In order to use fresh spinach you’ll need to start with a lot of spinach and cook it down in a skillet until it wilts. Once it’s cooled you can then squeeze out any excess moisture.
*Keep in mind that the recipe calls for 12 oz of cooked spinach, which is equivalent to 1 1/2 pounds of fresh spinach.
Try adding in chopped artichokes, pickled jalapenos, or chopped bell peppers for some added flavor to this spinach dip.
Spinach dip can last up to 5 days when stored in the fridge.
More Dip Recipes
There’s nothing better than a warm and cheesy dip! Here are a few more delicious dips, some featuring spinach, some not… either way, you’re going to love them!
- Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Garlic Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Warm Spinach and Feta Dip
- Creamy Hot Chipotle Dip
I can’t wait for you to give this delicious Parmesan Crusted Spinach Dip recipe a try! I know you’re going to love it as much as we do.
Parmesan Crusted Spinach Dip
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
For The Parmesan Topping
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 1.5 quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set it aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, thawed spinach (make sure you squeeze out as much moisture as possible), garlic, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, salt and red pepper. Use a sturdy spoon to combine and then spread into the baking dish.
- Bake the dip uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the parmesan topping by combining the topping ingredients together in a bowl.
- Remove the dip from the oven and stir it to get it all combined. Sprinkle the parmesan topping evenly over the top of the spinach dip, then return to the oven and continue baking an additional 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, turn on the top broiler in the oven to brown and crisp the parmesan topping. Depending on how close your pan is to the broiler this could take anywhere between 2 to 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn. Once it's golden and browned remove it from the oven.
- Serve the dip with pita chips, tortilla chips or veggie sticks. Enjoy!