This super simple Overnight Sausage Hash Brown Casserole makes for an easy breakfast fit for company.
It’s filled with tiny potatoes, peppers, sausage, eggs and plenty of cheese. Pair this breakfast casserole with my Fresh Fruit Salad for an epic brunch.
When it comes to breakfast, I love a good savoury meal. This hash brown casserole is studded with hot sausage and sweet peppers, making it truly irresistible.
Overnight Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
My quick and easy casserole recipe uses fresh (or frozen) O’Brien potatoes, making the prep work for this breakfast dish a time saver.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to whip up this tasty Overnight Breakfast Casserole recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Ground Hot Sausage – you can use mild sausage if preferred
- Dijon Mustard – just a touch gives this casserole something extra in flavor
- Hash Brown Potatoes with Onions and Peppers – fresh or frozen
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions
How To Make Hash Brown Casserole
The best thing about this breakfast recipe is that it can feed a crowd and is easily prepped the night before. I love using this recipe when we have company over for the holidays. It makes the mornings easy to wake up and enjoy friends and family without being stuck in the kitchen cooking.
Just pop the prepared casserole in the oven and let it bake up and serve!
BROWN THE SAUSAGE Start by browning the sausage in a large skillet. Use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage and cook until it’s no longer pink.
COMBINE EGG MIXTURE In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk until uniform in color.
ADD SAUSAGE AND POTATOES Place the cooked sausage and potatoes into the bowl with the egg mixture and add in some shredded cheese. Stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
REFRIGERATE CASSEROLE Pour the casserole mixture into a prepared 9″x13″ dish and top with a little more cheese. Cover with or plastic wrap and place in the fridge for up to 12 hours.
*If you’re using refrigerated potatoes you can bake the casserole right away or refrigerate overnight.
UNCOVER AND BAKE Bake the breakfast casserole at 350 degrees F. for 45 to 50 minutes or until the center of the dish is set. Let cool for 10 minutes before topping with green onions, slicing and serving.
Recipe Tips and Variations
You can easily swap out ingredients in this recipe to suit your needs. Here are a few recipe tips and variations to consider…
- Swap out the hot sausage for mild sausage to reduce the spice level.
- Use 1lb. of crisp cooked bacon in place of the ground sausage.
- Can’t find the O’Brien potatoes? Use regular hash brown potatoes and add in 1 cup total of finely chopped red and green bell peppers, along with half of an onion, finely diced.
- I like using sharp cheddar cheese, but a Colby Jack blend or Mexican Cheese blend would also taste great!
Can This Be Prepared Ahead of Time?
Yes! The wonderful thing about this Overnight Sausage Hash Brown Casserole is that it is easily prepared up to 12 hours ahead of time.
If you would like to prepare even more in advance here is what I would recommend…
- Brown the sausage, drain and let it cool. Then store in a container separately in the fridge. (up to 4 days ahead)
- Combine the egg mixture and store it separately in a zip-close bag in the fridge. (up to 2 days ahead)
- The night before baking, combine all the ingredients in the casserole dish and prepare as directed in the recipe card.
This is a great casserole to make for company during the holidays because it feeds a bunch of people and keeps everyone full and satisfied too.
What To Serve with Breakfast Casserole?
This savory dish is fantastic with a little dollop of sour cream and some of my homemade salsa on top.
If you’re looking for other items to serve with the casserole, here is what I would recommend…
- Freshly cut melon (cantelope, watermelon, honey dew)
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Easy Cinnamon Rolls
- Banana Bread or Zucchini Bread
PRO TIP – leftover breakfast casserole is fantastic when wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla and served breakfast burrito style!
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
Can’t get enough of that savory breakfast? I’ve got you covered with these simple, yet totally delicious breakfast recipes…
- Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos
- Super Easy Breakfast Quesadillas
- Country Style Sausage Gravy
- Bacon Cheddar Quiche
Check out ALL of my delicious breakfast/brunch recipes for even more ideas!
Whether you’re preparing this breakfast casserole for the holidays or just to make your mornings a little easier, I’m sure you’re going to really enjoy this recipe.
Overnight Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Coat a 9x13" casserole pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the sausage over medium-high heat, while crumbling into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink, drain any excess fat.
- Meanwhile combine the eggs, milk, mustard and pepper and whisk until fully combined. Add in the hash brown potatoes, 1 cup of the shredded cheese and the browned sausage. Stir to combine and pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove casserole from the fridge and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the top of the casserole with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Top with finely diced green onions and enjoy with your favorite hot sauce!