This No Boil Candied Sweet Potato Casserole is such an easy Thanksgiving side dish recipe, that you’ll want to make it any time of the year!
Sweet potatoes are just pure awesomeness.
I especially love my Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole and these savory Roasted Sweet potatoes with Carrots…but what always steals my heart, is the brown sugar and butter drenched, marshmallow topped, super tender sweet potato casserole.
Now before you go chasing me with broomsticks and pitchforks, this whole casserole only calls for 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Not too bad, right?!
I mean, there are 2 cups of mini marshmallows on top, but you have to live once in a while… right?
What makes this sweet potato casserole even more special is that you don’t have to pre-boil the sweet potatoes!
I hate dealing with piping hot taters and trying to peel and slice them without scorching your hands. Who needs that?!
I cut the sweet potatoes into 1/4inch thick slices and layered them in my casserole dish in a fun swirly pattern. To quicken the slicing process I used my trusty mandolin. I cut 6 sweet potatoes in less than a minute. Fist bump.
Once the potatoes are in the dish, pour in 1/3 cup water and cover tightly with tin foil. Bake them for about 50 minutes till they’re nice and tender.
Carefully open one end of the foil and drain the water from the dish. Then just drizzle the brown sugar butter mixture over the top, cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Top the casserole with the marshmallows if desired and bake for another 10 minutes.
I could NOT keep my hands off of this!
The sweet sauce and tender potatoes are a classic match made in heaven.
I may have eaten 3 servings of this.
Can you blame me?
You’re going to want this one on your table.Print
No Boil Candied Sweet Potato Casserole
This No Boil Candied Sweet Potato Casserole is steamed in the pan to make this dish quick and easy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes in a lightly greased 7×11 inch casserole dish. Pour in 1/3 cup water and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 50 minutes or until tender. Carefully drain excess water out of pan.
- Melt the butter in pan over medium heat and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and 3 tbsp of water. Stir till smooth and bubbly, then drizzle over potatoes. Cover again with foil and cook 10 minutes. Uncover and top with marshmallows. Cook 10 more minutes. Enjoy!
Keywords: no boil, candied, sweet potato, casserole, marshmallow, brown sugar, cinnamon