This Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe is made with fresh green beans and a surprise ingredient that sends it over the top!
This Classic Green Bean Casserole is a recipe that’s always on my holiday dinner table. It’s filled with fresh green beans, fried onions and my surprise ingredient – cheese!
Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
- Start by trimming your fresh green beans. You’ll want about 4 cups of cut green beans, which is approximately 1 1/2 lbs.
- Boil or steam your green beans just until they’re fork tender. Don’t overcook them or you’ll end up with a mushy casserole in the end.
While your green beans are cooking, mix up the cream of mushroom soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and pepper DIRECTLY IN YOUR CASSEROLE DISH!
Yay for not getting any extra bowls dirty!
Tips on How To Make Green Bean Casserole:
- Mix your creamy base directly in your casserole dish to avoid getting any extra dishes dirty!
- I like to use Worcestershire sauce for the extra savory flavor it adds, but you can also use soy sauce in it’s place.
- Add a teaspoon of garlic powder or fresh mushrooms to the creamy base for and extra punch of flavor!
Once your green beans are ready to go, simply toss them along with the crispy fried onions and cheddar cheese in the casserole dish and stir to coat.
Now just pop this in the oven, uncovered for about 25 to 30 minutes (or until the center of the dish is bubbly).
Pull the Classic Green Bean Casserole out of the oven and stir it up.
Top with a little more crispy fried onions and pop it back in the oven for just a few more minutes.
Can You Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
- I personally don’t think this would be the best recipe to freeze and reheat.
- This green bean casserole recipe is best when served right away after baking.
- Try this easy Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole for another method of cooking.
The addition of cheese in this Classic Green Bean Casserole really takes it to the next level. You’re going to be blown away at this delicious holiday side dish!
Don’t forget to check out all of my Thanksgiving Recipes HERE!Print
Classic Green Bean Casserole
This Classic Green Bean Casserole has a cheesy surprise to it that takes this classic holiday side dish over the top!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 2/3 cups crispy fried onion strings, divided
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3 quart casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- Place the green beans in a pot of lightly salted boiling water and cook until fork tender (about 10 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and pepper directly in the casserole dish, until smooth.
- Add the green beans, 2/3 cups of the onion strings and all of the cheddar cheese. Stir to coat the green beans.
- Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is bubbly. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining fried onion strings. Place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Enjoy right away.
- Serving Size: 6 to 8
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: