Football season is here!
That means it’s time for tailgating, appetizers, snacky, man-food type stuff.
It’s also casserole season. There is a slight chill to the air, and a warm casserole just seems to hit the spot.
This cheesy Tater Tot and Bratwurst Casserole tackles both the hungry-man-food problem, and the warm-up-your-belly situation.
It’s the combination of sauerkraut, bratwurst, and crispy tater tots fused together with a creamy cheese sauce, then piled high with more melted cheese on top.
It’s incredibly easy to throw this crowd pleasing meal together!
It basically makes itself.
Just looking at these pictures is making me want to kick my feet up, grab a big helping of this casserole, and re-live each delicious bite.
The tang of the sauerkraut is tamed down by the cheese sauce, and not over powering at all. The bratwurst gives it a savory kick, while the crispy tater tots on top lend to your prepubescent cravings.
‘Gimme some of your tots.’
This tater tot and bratwurst casserole was a touchdown with my family.
Loved by all.
Grab a bowl today!
Tater Tot and Bratwurst Casserole
- 1 package, 1 1/4 lbs. uncooked bratwursts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 16oz can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 10oz can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 package, 32oz frozen Tater Tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken broth and bratwursts, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the bratwursts are cooked through. Drain and discard chicken broth. Place brats on a cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the saucepan back on the stove and brown the bratwursts in the butter over medium-high heat. Drain on paper towels.
- Spoon the drained sauerkraut into a greased 9x13" casserole dish. Top with the bratwursts.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cheddar cheese soup and milk until smooth. Pour over the brats.
- Top with the tater tots. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned and crisp.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and onions, bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!