Get ready for some ultimate comfort food with this Sloppy Jo Tater Tot Skillet Recipe!
This past week has been a whirl of excitement. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen some of my stories over there already.
I was invited to the Disney Social Media Mom’s Conference for their land and sea celebration. We spent 3 nights at Walt Disney World and then 3 nights on the Disney Wonder Cruise line. I took my husband for a little fun and relaxation. We got home late last night and now I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation.
Do you ever feel like that after a big trip?
Luckily, I’m well equipped with one skillet dinner recipes on my site, which are perfect for Mondays and the day-after vacations.
I made this delicious casserole style skillet before we left on our trip and my kids (including my husband and myself) thoroughly enjoyed this one!
I created a delicious sloppy joe base and then topped it all with some frozen tater tots and popped it in the oven.
Now, if you don’t have an oven safe skillet, you can definitely transfer the sloppy joe mixture to a casserole dish and go from there. But I HIGHLY recommend investing in a cast iron skillet. They’re not too expensive, but they are definitely versatile and great for cooking with.
Once your tater tots are browned and crispy, you’ll cover the whole thing with cheese and then pop it back in the oven till it’s nice and melty.
I’m not kidding when I say that this was an immediate hit.
My kids are already begging me to make this one again!
The sloppy joe sauce has the perfect sweet and savory combination, and I’ve pumped it full of onions and peppers to give it some extra veggies. You could even throw in some frozen peas to add even a little more if you want!
You’re definitely going to LOVE this hearty one skillet recipe!
Don’t forget to check out all of my other one skillet recipes HERE!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Sloppy Jo Tater Tot Skillet Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp mustard, prepared
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 to 40 tater tots, frozen
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in an oven safe skillet, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes. Add the onion, red bell pepper and garlic, and continue cooking until beef is no longer pink and veggies are tender. Drain any excess fat and return skillet to stove top.
- Add the ketchup, water, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to the beef mixture and stir to combine over medium low heat, until slightly thickened.
- Top the beef mixture with the frozen tater tots in a single layer. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tater tots are browned and crispy.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and top with the shredded cheese. Return to oven and cook an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Garnish with the sliced green onions. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE RECIPE TO SAVE IT!