This Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole recipe is creamy, delicious and a definite crowd pleaser! When you’re short on space in the oven don’t forget about your trusty slow cooker!
I know Halloween is tomorrow, but I’m already thinking about Thanksgiving side dishes.
It’s my first Thanksgiving back in the States after two years in Canada. The last two years I prepared the whole feast on my own and served WAY too much food to my family of 6.
I couldn’t resist. It was so hard to watch all my friends and family on social media enjoying a Thanksgiving break, while it was just a normal Thursday up in Canada.
Crock Pot Side Dishes for Thanksgiving
One saving grace was being able to use my crock pot for side dishes. I actually used my friend’s awesome triple crock pot to make my Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole, Sausage Stuffing and Macaroni and Corn Casserole. That left my oven wide open for homemade rolls and and my perfectly roasted Turkey.
What I didn’t get to make was a classic green bean casserole. But this year, I am totally making it… and it’ll be in my slow cooker too!
I stuck with the classics of cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and of course green beans. But rather than using the canned version I went with fresh.
I did this because after 4 hours in a crock pot, the canned green beans would be straight mush. The fresh green beans are cooked perfectly after 4 hours and are still tender without tasting like baby food.
I also didn’t add the french’s fried onions until the very end because I didn’t want them to become mushy either.
One thing I did add was a little bit of grated parmesan cheese, which I think made a great addition.
Crock Pot Green Beans Are Easy To Make
Just toss in all the ingredients except the onions and turn it on low for 3 hours. After three hours, toss in half of the onions and stir. Crank the heat up to high for one hour, stir, then add the remaining onions and you’re ready to serve!
I’m so excited for Thanksgiving this year! Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Halloween bucket full of candy to go raid. 😉 #priorities
Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 oz. French's French Fried Onions, divided
- Lightly spray your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the green beans.
- Combine the soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and parmesan cheese in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over green beans and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH* for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours stir the green beans and add half of the onions, stirring to combine, and cook for an additional 1 hour. Remove lid and stir. Turn off the crock pot or turn to warm until ready to serve. Just before serving stir one more time and sprinkle with the remaining onions. Enjoy!