I’m taking dinner to the next level of easy with this Slow Cooker Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers and Mashed Potatoes. It’s a complete meal the whole family will love with super easy prep and clean up.
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen that we’re moving (again), and when I asked for some tips from you guys on how to keep my life less stressful for the whole transition you guys pointed right back to my site and said easy dinners help keep you less stressed with everything else that’s going on in your life.
Wow. Talk about humbling. And I totally agree. Knowing what’s for dinner is a great way to check one item off my mental checklist.
Let’s talk about these Slow Cooker Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers and Mashed Potatoes! I married the idea of my Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes with my Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers and BAM! A new and delicious dinner idea was born.
You guys are going to LOVE this, I know it.
Slow Cooker Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers Cooking Tips:
- I know you’re going to ask this, so I’ll just go ahead and answer now – No, you should NOT make this in your Instant Pot. The peppers are too delicate to withstand the amount of time the potatoes and meat need to cook under pressure.
- I made 4 peppers with 1 pound of ground beef, but could easily fit a fifth pepper in my slow cooker by adding an additional 1/4 pound beef to the recipe.
- The ground beef will release fat when cooked that is trapped inside each bell pepper. After cooking, simply use some tongs and drain the fat before topping with ketchup.
- Feel free to top each pepper with cheese when done cooking for an added level of deliciousness.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that the potatoes act like a barrier for the peppers and also create a delicious side dish at the same time!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Tips:
- I used peeled russet potatoes for this recipe, but I’m sure other types of potatoes would work well.
- Try to cut all your potatoes as close to the same size for a more even consistency when cooking.
- No need to drain the cooking liquid once they’re done cooking. Simply mash, then eyeball and add more sour cream and butter to taste as you go.
- There will most likely be some browned potatoes on the bottom, don’t worry, these still mash beautifully.
Once the peppers are cooked, pull them out of the crock pot, drain any fat inside each pepper and then place in an oven safe dish. Spread a little ketchup on top of each meatloaf stuffed pepper and pop under the broiler for just a few minutes.
That last step is optional, but I highly recommend it!
The peppers are the perfect capsule for the deliciously tender meatloaf! My kids and I could not get enough of them!
A complete meal in one pot… doesn’t get much better than that!
Slow Cooker Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers Mashed Potatoes
For the Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 to 3 tbsp butter
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and remove any seeds inside, discard tops and seeds.
- In a medium bowl combine the ground beef, diced onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, dried parsley, salt and black pepper. Mix until combined then divide mixture between bell peppers. Set aside.
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with the cubed potatoes (make sure it's an even layer), then add the 1/2 cup water and sprinkle with the 1/2 tsp garlic powder and onion powder. Place the stuffed peppers on top of the potatoes and cover with the lid. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- The potatoes will be done when they are fork tender. Use tongs to remove the peppers and carefully tip over to allow any fat to drain out and discard. If desired, place the stuffed peppers in a small baking dish and top with ketchup and pop under your broiler for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile mash the potatoes (no need to drain the cooking liquid). Add the sour cream and butter and continue to mash until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!