Loaded with 3 flavorful cheeses, this indulgent One Skillet Mac and Cheese comes together in one pan in under 30 minutes!!
It’s totally possible. Indulgent comfort food at its finest!
The ingredients are simple and adaptable. We’re making our mac and cheese with 3 different cheeses for an easy, yet complex flavor. I’ll leave it up to you what cheese you want to use. But my top picks are creamy Fontina, aged Asiago, and freshly grated Parmesan cheeses.
What Cheese to Use for Skillet Mac and Cheese:
Let’s dive a little deeper into each cheese choices and possible substitutions…
- Fontina is creamy, buttery, nutty cheese that melts beautifully, which makes perfect for our skillet mac and cheese. And you can make this amazing 15-Minute Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese with leftover Fontina. But if you don’t have Fontina, Provolone or Gruyere are great options too.
- Aged Asiago is firm, slightly crumbly (the longer they’re aged, the crumblier they are) cheese with intense nutty flavor. I think Asiago cheese makes this mac and cheese exceptionally wonderful, but extra sharp cheddar is also great option.
- Parmesan cheese is, of course, pretty much a staple in any pasta dishes. Its rich nutty flavor compliments any pasta dish, and this skillet mac and cheese is no exception. If you can, get a wedge of Parmesan cheese and grate it yourself for the best flavor. But pre-grated Parmesan from refrigerated section is fine too. Whatever you do, don’t reach for powdered Parmesan from a regular aisle.
Besides the cheeses, you’ll need just a few more ingredients for creamiest and quickest mac and cheese. Each ingredient has its specific role in this recipe, so please don’t omit anything. For example, that little bit of cornstarch is there to keep the creamy consistency and to prevent the cheese from curdling.
Also, if you would like, you can throw in some chopped ham to change things up.
I really hope you’ll give this quick and easy dinner recipe a try! And if you do, please let us know your feedback. Enjoy!Print
Skillet Mac and Cheese
Flavored with 3 different cheeses, this indulgent skillet mac and cheese comes together in one skillet under 30 minutes!!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- 4 cups water
- 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1lb elbow or shell macaroni
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4oz fontina cheese, grated
- 4oz asiago cheese, grated
- 2oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh parsley for serving, optional
- In a large (12-inch) skillet, combine water, 1 1/4 cups of evaporated milk and salt. Bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add macaroni and cook until al dente, stirring frequently, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1/4 cup of evaporated milk with cornstarch.
- Stir it into the pasta, and simmer for 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in cheeses in small batches.
- If needed, add hot water a little bit at a time to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired, and serve!
Keywords: cheese, macaroni, easy, skillet, stovetop