This One Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole was a hands-down, two thumbs up, no leftovers, WINNER!
Are you ready for another amazing dinner recipe that’s cooked in just one pan?
School is back in session so easy weeknight dinners that come together in less than 30 minutes are my absolute favorite.
Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
I’ve taken my classic Sloppy Joe mixture and turned it into a delectable one skillet meal topped with fluffy and cheesy cornbread.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this delicious sloppy joe casserole. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Ground Beef – use a lean ground beef
- Diced Onion
- Bell Peppers – I’m using green, but you can also use red
- Sloppy Joe Sauce – you can use the canned version or my homemade blend
- Cornbread Muffin Mix – Martha White or Jiffy will work
- Cheddar Cheese
How To Make Sloppy Joe Casserole
Making this super easy casserole will only take a few minutes of prep and just 15 to 20 minutes of baking. Dinner will be ready before you know it.
Brown the Beef
The first thing you’ll want to do is quickly brown some ground beef in a skillet with some onions and green bell peppers. Drain off any fat and return the pan to the stove top.
Add Sloppy Joe Sauce
I used a can of sloppy joe sauce that I had in my pantry to make this dish extra saucy, but I’ve got a great homemade sauce recipe below in case you’re wanting to make your own! I don’t mind using the canned stuff every once in a while though, it’s just so easy.
Make Cornbread Topping
Whisk together a package of cornbread mix along with some milk and an egg. I like to jazz up my cornbread mixture by adding in some shredded cheddar cheese, but you can leave that out if you like.
Then just poured it over the top of that gorgeous sloppy joe mixture and popped it in the oven to bake.
Bake Sloppy Joe Casserole
You’ll want to make sure your skillet is oven safe before you start. If you don’t have one, you can just transfer the sloppy joe mixture into a casserole dish and top with the cornbread mix before baking.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for just 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cornbread on top is cooked through.
Recipe Tips and Swaps
- If you can’t get your hands on the Martha White cornbread mix, you can also use the Jiffy cornbread mix.
- Swap out the ground beef for ground turkey for a less fat version.
- You can swap the green bell peppers for red bell peppers if desired.
- Try adding a can of diced chilies to the cornbread mixture for a southwestern flare!
I’m telling you – my whole family DEVOURED this dish!
The sweet and savory sloppy joe with the perfectly tender cornbread topping and cheese… oh my gosh, I want another scoop right now.
More Sloppy Joe Recipes
Sloppy Joes are the quintessential kid dinner. I have a slew of fun recipes with Sloppy Joe flare that I know you are going to enjoy…
- Cheesy Tater Tot Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Classic Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Mini Sloppy Joe Cups
I can’t wait for you to give this super easy Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole a try! I know you’re going to love it!
One Skillet Sloppy Joe Cornbread Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 15 oz sloppy joe sauce, *see notes for homemade version
- 7 oz Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread muffin mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat an oven safe skillet on the stove to over medium high heat. Cook the ground beef, onion and green bell pepper until the beef is cooked through. Drain the fat from the skillet and stir in the sloppy joe sauce*, simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread muffin mix with the milk and egg then stir in the cheese. Pour over the top of the sloppy joe mix.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly browned on top and cooked through. Enjoy!
Stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup beef broth, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp prepared mustard, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and salt and pepper into the ground beef mixture and continue with recipe.