This One Skillet Sloppy Jo Cornbread Casserole was a hands-down, two thumbs up, no leftovers, WINNER!
Are you ready for another amazing dinner recipe that’s cooked in just one pan?
School is back in session so easy weeknight dinners that come together in less than 30 minutes are my absolute favorite.
The first thing you’ll want to do is quickly brown some ground beef in a skillet with some onions and green bell peppers.
I used a can of sloppy jo sauce that I had in my pantry to make this dish extra saucy, but I’ve got a great homemade sauce recipe below in case you’re wanting to make your own! I don’t mind using the canned stuff every once in a while though, it’s just so easy.
Once the sloppy jo mixture is ready, you can whip up some Martha White sweet yellow cornbread mix to top the beef.
I’m excited to announce that I’ve partnered with Martha White for the next year to bring you guys more amazing, family friendly dishes like this one right here.
Martha White is once again partnering with the CMA’s for it’s 50th awards ceremony!
Where are all my country music fans?
Listen up!! Martha White is currently running a giveaway on their Facebook Page to give 4 lucky winners (and their guests) a trip to the 50th CMA Awards in Nashville, TN on November 2, 2016!!
Gosh, I hope one of you guys win! If you do, you need to take lots of pictures and send them to me!!
If you win and take me with you I’ll make you this One Skillet Sloppy Jo Cornbread Casserole all for yourself! 😉 I might want a bite too…
I jazzed up the cornbread mix by stirring in some shredded cheddar cheese.
The I just poured it over the top of that gorgeous sloppy jo mixture and popped it in the oven to bake.
You’ll want to make sure your skillet is oven safe before you start. If you don’t have one, you can just transfer the sloppy jo mixture into a casserole dish and top with the cornbread mix before baking. It’s two dishes, but still worth it.
I’m telling you – my whole family DEVOURED this dish!
The sweet and savory sloppy jo with the perfectly tender cornbread topping and cheese… oh my gosh, I want another scoop right now.
With all this Sloppy Jo & Cornbread talk you might have already forgotten about that chance to win a trip to the CMA’s this year…
Don’t miss this promotion – ENTER HERE!
Oh and here are the all the official rules in case you were wanting to read them too.
One Skillet Sloppy Jo Cornbread Casserole
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 sloppy jo sauce, 15oz can *see notes for homemade version
- 1 Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread muffin mix, 7oz package
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat an oven safe skillet on the stove to over medium high heat. Cook the ground beef, onion and green bell pepper until the beef is cooked through. Drain the fat from the skillet and stir in the sloppy jo sauce*, simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread muffin mix with the milk and egg then stir in the cheese. Pour over the top of the sloppy jo mix.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cornbread is lightly browned on top and cooked through. Enjoy!
Stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp prepared mustard, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and salt and pepper into the ground beef mixture and continue with recipe.
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Martha White. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.