I’m so in love with this super easy Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken recipe. It’s a quick to prepare, all in one dinner that your whole family will love!
This dinner is seriously amazing. It’s one of my favorites for a few reasons. First being that it’s crazy simple to make and you only get a couple dishes dirty in the process.
Hooray for less dishes, am I right?!
Secondly… this dish is full of crazy awesome flavor. Lemon, garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage… it’s heavenly.
Back when I lived in Canada I planted a rosemary bush right outside my front door. Every time I passed by I would brush my hand across the bush and then smell my fingers. The smell of fresh rosemary is my favorite. So the other day when I got to craving that delicious rosemary, I decided to make some rosemary chicken.
I drove to the store to buy some (I need to plant my herb garden this spring), and all I could find was a package of “poultry herbs,” which included thyme, sage and a few sprigs of rosemary. I picked up the last package and headed for the chicken.
On my way I grabbed a few lemons, a head of garlic and a bag of baby red potatoes.
When I got to the chicken I found a large package of chicken legs for just $4!! My kids are huge fans of chicken legs (and so am I), so I grabbed that. Chicken thighs or bone-in chicken breast would work for this recipe as well.
I browned the chicken legs in a large skillet before placing them on my roasting pan.
**In order to skip getting an extra pan dirty, just lay your roasting pan over two burners and brown the chicken right in the roasting pan before finishing it off in the oven! I couldn’t do this because I have an induction cooktop and my roasting pan wouldn’t work. Bummer.
Add the chicken along with the potatoes to the roasting pan and drizzle the garlic and herb infused lemon mixture all over the chicken and potatoes.
It’s seriously such a beautiful dish. Perfect for entertaining too!
I like to lay the lemon slices on top of the chicken, or as close as possible to give ultimate flavor.
But my favorite is the roasted garlic… you see those smashed garlic cloves in there? When roasted they become so delicious and perfect on top of the tender potatoes and chicken.
Every bite is full of gorgeous flavors. You’re going to seriously fall in love with this easy dinner!
Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 12 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp rosemary, freshly chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, freshly chopped
- 1 tbsp sage leaves, freshly snipped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes, or quartered yukon golds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine the lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon slices, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and sage in a small bowl, set aside.
- Lay a large roasting pan or baking sheet over two burners on your stove top. Heat both burners to medium-high and add the 2 tbsp olive oil. Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper and then add to the pan, turning often to brown all sides (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- Add the potatoes to the pan and drizzle the lemon mixture over chicken and potatoes, scattering the lemon slices and garlic evenly. Roast in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and potatoes are tender. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: