This super easy Tartar Sauce Recipe is thick and creamy and the perfect condiment for fried fish and chips!
We’ve been cleaning out our freezer lately in an effort to try and use what we have on hand. I came across a bunch of frozen fish that my husband had caught from a fishing trip last year so I decided to make my own fried fish sticks!
Well, fried fish just begs to be served with my homemade tartar sauce, and lucky me, I had all the ingredients on hand to whip it up!
Ingredients for Tartar Sauce
These are the basic ingredients needed to make tartar sauce at home:
- Dill pickles (or dill pickle relish)
- Fresh dill (or dried)
- Lemon juice
- Dijon Mustard
- Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Black Pepper
Tartar sauce is a mayo-based condiment, but I’ve also used half mayo, half sour cream (or plain greek yogurt) to lighten it up a bit. It still has that creamy texture that goes so well with seafood!
How To Make Tartar Sauce
Are you ready for this? – To make tartar sauce, just add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir together!
It’s super easy to make and once you do, you’ll never want to buy the bottled stuff again. Trust me!
Tips and Variations
- Like I mentioned above, to lighten up this recipe, I’ll sometimes use half mayo/half sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
- Dill pickle relish makes this recipe super easy, but you can also use a food processor to finely chop pickles if you don’t want to.
- Capers are a more traditional ingredient in tartar sauce, but I don’t always have capers on hand. Try adding in a couple tablespoons for a nice boost of flavor!
- Store the prepared tartar sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This is the Best Tartar Sauce recipe, and I can’t wait for you to give it a try!
Easy Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup dill pickle relish, or 3/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to 5 days.