These Double Chocolate Eggnog Sandwich Cookies boast a soft and tender double chocolate chip cookie with a light and fluffy eggnog buttercream frosting sandwiched in between. You’re going to want to add these to your holiday baking list for sure!
One of my favorite type of cookies is a double chocolate chip cookie, so when Challenge Butter asked me to make a cookie for their “12 Days of Cookies,” I knew that chocolate was in my future.
If there is one thing you need to make sure you do this holiday, it’s to splurge for the premium butter. There is a huge taste difference between store brand and Challenge Butter. You’re going to really see the difference, trust me.
I’m going to be honest with you guys, I haven’t given out a “cookie plate” to neighbors in probably over 5 years. I’m a horrible neighbor, I know.
But at least they get random food scraps throughout the year – one of the perks of living by a food blogger.
In my defense, we’ve moved so many times that I haven’t had the same neighbors for more than one Christmas in the last 5 years. I’ve just always been so busy around the holidays that I never end up with enough time.
Not this year though. Even though I am busy packing my house up for ANOTHER move, I am going to make it a priority to make cookies for my neighbors. Because… well… it really does make me happy to bake.
I love the smell of fresh baked cookies, and I especially love tasting them.
Can we talk about this Eggnog Buttercream Frosting for a second…
First of all, buttercream is my favorite type of frosting. It’s so rich and creamy, yet light and fluffy at the same time.
Secondly … Eggnog!! I added in a few tablespoons of eggnog to my classic buttercream frosting with a little pinch of nutmeg for an added boost of spice.
My kids absolutely loved these cookies, and even requested that they have them with a cold glass of eggnog… perfection!
I loved how soft and tender they were. I’m definitely going to make these again for my neighbors (and for me).
Be sure to check out the other awesome cookie recipes on the Challenge Dairy Blog!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Double Chocolate Eggnog Cookies
For the Cookies:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Eggnog Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tbsp eggnog
For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and butter in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium low speed until the mixture is creamed, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, continuing to beat on medium low speed.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour dark cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Turn the mixer down to low and gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, until fully incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Scoop teaspoon size balls onto prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
To make the Frosting:
- Cream the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, salt and nutmeg to bowl. Turn mixer to low until the powdered sugar is absorbed and then increase the speed to medium and whip for 2 minutes.
- Start by adding 2 tbsp of eggnog and continue beating the frosting. Add more eggnog to thin the frosting or more powdered sugar to thicken if needed.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cookies to make sandwiches.
Disclaimer: I am proud to be a compensated Challenge Dairy Ambassador. All thoughts and opinions stated here are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible.
Oh my! These look heavenly!
Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen
Ooooooo Shawn, my husband would lovvvvve these! If I show him this recipe, I’ll probably never be allowed to make anything else! Hahaha!
I have some eggnog leftover in my fridge from baking cookies, and now I’m excited to try these cookies because you paired eggnog with chocolate (and you can never go wrong with chocolate)
Aimee @ ShugarySweets
Oh my word, chocolate and eggnog together? I’m in love……
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen
These are perfectly decadent in every way possible. Perfect chocolate lover’s cookie! And you’re a better person than me b/c we’ve lived in the same spot for 6 Christmases now and I’ve yet to give anything to my neighbors.
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet
You had me at double chocolate! And eggnog filling! These cookies look amazing!