This Cream Cheese Santa Danish is a super simple and festive breakfast pastry that even the kids could help make!
I have a serious weakness for doughnuts and pastries. My husband would argue saying that these types of treats are meant for dessert, but I say NAY!
We will eat pastries for breakfast any day! Ok, maybe some fruit and eggs served on the side too, but if I can’t live in a world where it’s socially acceptable to eat sugar for breakfast, than this is no world I want to live in.
That’s a bit dramatic. Just look at how cute these Santa pastries are though!
After I made these Easter Bunny Danishes, I figured Christmas deserved it’s own special breakfast pastry.
My daughter helped me come up with this design, and I’m so proud of her creativity. Chip off the ol’ block, if I do say so myself. 😉
All you need is a handful of ingredients, including some Pillsbury crescent rolls. Two triangles are used to make Santa’s face and hat, then a rolled up crescent roll is used to make the little pom pom on the end of his hat.
The cream cheese mixture makes a perfect snowy beard and fuzzy hat!
The eyes and nose are just M&M’s. I made a few with the eyes and nose on before baking and the colors from the candies ended up smudging all over. So it’s best to bake them without the candies and then place them on right after the danishes get out of the oven.
These super cute Santa danishes are a tasty way to enjoy Christmas morning!
What are your Christmas morning breakfast traditions?
Cream Cheese Santa Danish
- Yield: makes 7 danishes 1x
- 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 14 brown M&M candies
- 7 red M&M candies
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- Unroll 2 cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls onto work surface, leaving 1 square with 2 triangles rolled up tight. Set roll aside for later.
- In medium bowl, beat 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Place egg white in separate small bowl; beat with whisk until slightly frothy.
- To make 1 Santa, separate 1 square of dough into 2 triangles. On a cookie sheet, take one of the triangles and bend the long pointed end over and to the side to create a Santa hat. Take the other triangle and bring the long pointed end up to the short end of the triangle, creating a U-shaped face. Press the seams closed.
- Place the Santa hat carefully over the Santa face, pressing lightly together.
- Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture around the face of the Santa, creating his fluffy white beard. Use about another tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture to make the fluffy rim of his hat. Repeat for the remaining dough triangles (you should get 7 danishes).
- Cut the remaining roll of dough into 7 slices. Gently pinch and press 1 slice onto the pointy end of Santa’s hat, creating it’s fluffy pom-pom. Use about 1 tsp cream cheese mixture to cover the dough ball.
- Lightly brush any exposed dough with beaten egg white. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, place the M&M candies on for his eyes and nose. Enjoy!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THE RECIPE TO SAVE IT!