These Coconut Macaroon Easter Nests are dipped in chocolate and are an absolutely adorable treat to make this Season!
For some reason whenever I start to see Peeps at the grocery store I have to buy them.
My Aunt is known for being wildly in love with Peeps and always having a package or two in her house, so maybe it’s some sort of nostalgia for me? Last time I went to the grocery store a package just magically appeared in my cart, but I’m pretty sure my 4 year old had something to do with it.
I had these adorable marshmallow Peeps staring at me, wanting to be made into something cute, and all I could think of was chocolate and coconut.
They’re my downfalls.
I decided to make these adorable nests to give to some of my friends and my kid’s teachers for Easter! I ended up packaging them way cute in a cookie bag. One nest with an adorable Peep on top.
Oh my gosh, I just typed out Poop on accident! #AutocorrectFail
So let me tell you about these macaroons. They’re so simple and so amazing guys!
I mixed together some sweetened coconut, a little sweetened condensed milk and a touch of almond extract. Then, to give these cookies some body without making them too heavy, I whipped up some egg whites until they were fluffy and then folded it into the coconut mixture.
I used an ice cream scoop (about 4 tbsp size) and made large rounds. Once they were on the cookie sheet I gently pressed my finger in the middle to create a nest.
Off they went into the oven until they turned a light golden brown!
Once they cooled I dipped the bottoms in chocolate and placed a few candy coated eggs in the nest.
I think they turned out adorable and seriously tasty! I couldn’t keep my hands off of them.
Don’t forget the Peep! 🙂
Coconut Macaroon Easter Nests
- 14 oz. sweetened flaked coconut
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz. chocolate candy melts, melted according to package instructions
- Candy coated chocolate easter eggs, or Jelly beans
- Peeps marshmallow Chicks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the coconut, sweetened condensed milk and almond extract stirring until evenly combined.
- Place the egg whites and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer (a regular bowl and hand mixer will work too) fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites until medium peaks form. DO NOT OVER BEAT.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture and use an ice cream scoop (about 4 tbsp) to scoop out balls. Place the balls on the parchment lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and gently press your thumb in the center to create a nest. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet immediately to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Dip the bottoms of the coconut macaroon nests into the chocolate and place on a sheet of parchment paper to dry. Fill each nest with the chocolate eggs (or jelly beans) and top with a Peeps marshmallow chick. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
You May Also Like: