This Cheeseburger and French Fry Casserole recipe is from The Cookies and Cups Cookbook! It’s filled with cheesy hamburger, crispy french fries and a delicious fry sauce on top!
I am seriously in love with this cookbook guys!
Shelly, the gal behind the Cookies and Cups blog, recently released her first, self-titled cookbook and it’s amazing!
If you know Shelly, you know that she is all about desserts, so naturally the beginning of the book is filled with mouthwatering dessert recipes.
You’ll find recipes for sweet breakfasts, bars, cookies, frostings (OMG – the cake batter frosting is to die for!), and naturally there are also pies and cakes.
She didn’t discriminate when it comes to savory foods though!
Oh yes, there are plenty of delicious meal time solutions available in this book. From pizza and pasta to sandwiches and salads… there is something for everyone! My favorite section is her “Family Favorites.” That’s where I found this recipe for Cheeseburger and French Fry Casserole!
The recipe is super simple and uses ground hamburger (or turkey) along with onions and her special grill seasoning, that she also gives you a recipe for!
Once the hamburger is browned you simply add a homemade cheese sauce and stir to combine.
Her recipe calls for white cheddar, but I had some sharp cheddar on hand (it also happens to be my husband’s favorite), so I went with it.
I could seriously have eaten just that pot of cheesy hamburger by itself, but she takes it a step further by adding a layer of seasoned curly fries on top!
Just toss it in the oven until the fries are nice and crispy, then it’s ready to enjoy!
I whipped up her simple fry sauce to drizzle over the top, and I HIGHLY recommend doing it too. It’s so good.
You can top it with whatever burger toppings you want! Sliced pickles, tomatoes, bacon… I mean, how could you not just fall in love with this pile of deliciousness!?
The cheeseburger base is super flavorful thanks to the grilling seasoning and cheese sauce.
My whole family devoured this. I can definitely see why this was a family favorite for Shelly!
I have already made several dessert recipes and a few of the snack recipes in the book. Each one was a major success and received rave reviews!
You’ll definitely want to add The Cookies and Cups Cookbook to your collection, and I’m pretty sure Mom would LOVE one for Mother’s Day… just sayin.
I can’t wait to make this one again!
Cheeseburger and French Fry Casserole
Recipe from The Cookies and Cups Cookbook by Shelly Jaronsky
- Yield: serves 6 1x
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2/3 cup diced onions
- 2 tsp grill seasoning (see notes)
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk (2% or whole)
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (20 to 28 oz) bag frozen seasoned curly fries
For the Fry Sauce:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayo
- Hot Sauce
- pickles, diced tomato, crumbled bacon, diced green onions, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and onions over medium heat until the meat is cooked and the onions are soft, about 10 mins. Drain off any excess fat. Season the meat with the grill seasoning. remove from the heat and sed aside.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the cheddar and stir until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce onto the meat and stir to combine evenly. Transfer this mixture to a 3-quart baking dish. Top the meat mixture with the frozen fries. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the fires are cooked and the mixture is bubbling.
For the Fry Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mis together the ketchup, mayo and hot sauce to taste. Drizzle the sauce onto the cooked casserole and garnish with any optional toppings you desire. Serve hot, enjoy!
DIY Grill Seasoning: Combine 2 tbsp kosher salt, 2 tbsp black pepper, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper and 1 tsp smoked paprika in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Store airtight at room temperature for up to 6 months!
disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thanks for helping make I Wash You Dry possible!