I’m dedicating this week to the blue box.
(and just so you know- this is not sponsored by Kraft at all… just me wanting to share some fun ideas)
Sometimes you have a busy day and don’t feel like making that elaborate dinner you planned on and your hungry kids are staring you in the face wanting dinner. LIKE NOW.
So you grab a box of mac ‘n cheese and get some water boiling…
I don’t know about you, but I have a hard time eating plain mac ‘n cheese. My kids love it, but I just need to spruce it up a bit.
I’m going to share 5 different ways to kick up the flavor of that box-o-mac ‘n cheese this week!
First up – Cajun Mac and Cheese.
What I’ve done is created “toppings” to go with your macaroni and cheese. This way, you can prepare the boxed dinner according to the directions, give your kids what they want (plain jane mac ‘n cheese), and spruce it up for yourself!
I love cajun seasoning, so I grabbed some of the ingredients from my Cajun Chicken Pasta, chopped them up and threw them in a pan while my mac ‘n cheese was cooking.
Dish up your serving of mac ‘n cheese, sprinkle with a little cajun seasoning, and add your toppings.
I love this topping so. much.
I had leftover topping and threw it on a baked potato the next day. (yum to the 10th power)
A little kick of spice, loads of veggies, and most of all – a complete dinner you can feel good about!
I used the original mac ‘n cheese for this recipe, but I’m sure it would taste great on any variation of the boxed dinner.
I hope you enjoy the week of easy dinner recipes!
Cajun Mac and Cheese
Cajun Mac and Cheese has a little kick of spice, loads of veggies, and most of all – it’s a complete dinner you can feel good about!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Mac ‘n Cheese, prepared according to box instructions
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3–4 large mushrooms, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and stir for 20 seconds, then add the pepper and onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onion starts to soften.
- Sprinkle with about a teaspoon of cajun seasoning, and stir. Add the mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms have cooked down (about 3 more minutes).
- Sprinkle your mac ‘n cheese with some more cajun seasoning if desired, then top with the vegetable mix. Sprinkle with green onion and parmesan cheese.
- Serving Size: 2-4