Is there really anything better than bite-sized appetizers?
What about bite-sized appetizers that are filled with creamy and buttery brie cheese…
These Brie and Asparagus Phyllo Tarts are on the top of my list for favorite bite-sized snacks.
I associate this time of year with soft cheeses. There is always a wheel of brie in my fridge and crackers in my pantry, ready for whenever the need arises.
It arises frequently in this house.
I wanted to make a fun appetizer that you could prep ahead of time for holiday parties, football watching, New Year’s Eve, (or whenever) that included that creamy and buttery brie cheese that I adore.
Before you get all confused about the fact that the brie in the pictures does not look like your average brie cheese, let me explain…
I found a brick of brie cheese that claimed it was better for “snacking,” so I thought I would give it a try. Because seriously… snacking is my forte. Whether you get it in a brick or a wheel, it doesn’t really matter, just get some brie… triple cream (if you can find it)… yum!
I made my own phyllo tarts out of sheets of phyllo dough and butter (which is super easy), but if you can find yourself pre-made phyllo tarts, well… that’s even easier.
The filling is simply a slice of brie cheese with caramelized onions and sautéed asparagus tips.
Maybe I’m just too frugal, but I couldn’t let myself only use asparagus tips. I bought a pound of asparagus, trimmed off the woody ends, cut them into 1 inch pieces, then sautéed them in butter. If you don’t use all the asparagus for the tarts, just save the rest for topping a salad or serve it with dinner the next day.
The flaky phyllo tarts pair perfectly with the savory cheesy action going on in the filling.
I couldn’t keep my hands off of these.
Plus they’re super cute to look at too.
Brie and Asparagus Phyllo Tarts
- 24 prepared mini phyllo tart shells
- 1 wheel of brie cheese, I prefer triple cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Place your prepared phyllo tart shells on a serving platter. Cut 24 small pieces (about 1 inch) from the wheel of brie cheese and place in phyllo tart shells. Cover and refrigerate any unused brie.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the asparagus, sautéing until asparagus has softened slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a piece of asparagus to each phyllo tart shell on top of the brie.
- Wipe pan clean and add 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Saute onions, stirring occasionally until they become softened and start to brown lightly (about 5 minutes). Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and stir to coat the onions in the mixture. Spoon a teaspoon of the onion mixture into each phyllo tart shell. Serve the tarts warm* or at room temperature.
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Arizona Milk Producers, reminding you to enjoy at least 3 servings of dairy a day! All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible!