Last month when I first tried these million dollar Peanutty Pie Crust Clusters, a slew of variations went through my brain that I was dying to try.
One of which were these Rocky Road Pie Crust Clusters!
Flaky bits of pie crust are swirled together with soft and fluffy marshmallows and crunchy, salted peanuts in a delicious chocolate mixture.
I wasn’t actually sure which nut to choose for these clusters, so I put out the question on Facebook, and the answers varied from almonds to walnuts and even a few peanuts. I always thought it was peanuts, but it’s definitely your choice when it comes to these simple and quick treats.
Start out by taking one of those handy Pillsbury Pie Crusts and cutting it into 16 x 16 rows to get a bunch of tiny pie crust pieces.
Line them all in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for just 6 to 8 minutes until they turn a beautiful golden brown.
Then just let them cool.
I dare you to resist popping several of these pie crust bits in your mouth. It’s impossible.
While they’re cooling whip up a quick mixture of melted chocolate (with just a hint of peanut butter), and gently fold in the pie crust, marshmallows and nuts.
Drop them by the tablespoonful onto wax paper to let them cool. I actually used my ice cream scoop to make larger clusters this time, but smaller clusters are perfect for popping into your mouth when the need arises.
Before they set completely I stuck a few extra marshmallows and peanuts into the chocolate, but you don’t have to do that.
When you bite into it, they’re filled with all the yummy goodness.
For a treat that takes just a few minutes to prepare, these clusters are a total winner!Print
Rocky Road Pie Crust Clusters
Rocky Road Pie Crust Clusters are a crunchy good bite sized dessert!
- Prep Time: 24 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 30 clusters 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on box
- 1 bag (12oz) semi sweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Crisco Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tablespoon Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 cup salted cocktail peanuts (or almonds or walnuts)
- 1 1/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper.
- Unroll pie crust on work surface. With pizza cutter or knife, cut into 16 rows by 16 rows to make small squares. Arrange squares in single layer on large ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove squares from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 5 minutes.
- In large microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, shortening and peanut butter uncovered on High 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring once, until chips can be stirred smooth. Add pie crust squares, peanuts (or almonds or walnuts) and marshmallows: stir gently until evenly coated. Immediately drop by heaping tablespoons onto lined cookie sheets. (If mixture gets too thick, microwave on High 15 seconds; stir) Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until set. Store covered.
recipe adapted from Peanutty Pie Crust Clusters
Keywords: Rocky Road, Pie Crust, peanut butter, chocolate, marshmallows, clusters