This Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe is a quick and easy with a perfectly crispy coating and tender shrimp on the inside!
I’ve always been a sucker for fried shrimp when I go out to restaurants but making them at home always seemed so daunting and messy. Not anymore! Thanks to my air fryer, I can have perfect, golden brown, crispy shrimp in minutes with no messy oil!
Ok, that totally sounds like a sales pitch, but I’m serious. It’s a game changer.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe:
- Start by tossing the uncooked shrimp in a mixture of flour, lime zest and salt.
- Dip the dredged shrimp in lightly beaten eggs.
- Coat each shrimp in a mixture of panko breadcrumbs and shredded coconut, then place in your air fryer basket in a single layer.
Fried Shrimp Tips and Tricks:
- Leave the tails on the shrimp for ease of dredging, dipping and coating. Plus it makes for a pretty presentation when serving.
- I find it’s easiest (and less messy) to use a small cup to dip the shrimp in the eggs (pictured above).
- Don’t over crowd your fryer basket or the shrimp won’t get crispy all around.
What Size Shrimp Should I Use?
I prefer to use the large or jumbo size shrimp. If you’re buying frozen shrimp, look for the 18 to 20 count shrimp. If using a smaller size shrimp, you’ll have to adjust the cook time so your shrimp to not overcook.
How To Defrost Frozen Shrimp
Place the frozen shrimp in a strainer or colander and run cool water over the shrimp until they are fully defrosted. Rotate the shrimp in the strainer to make sure all of them are getting defrosted.
Never use warm or hot water to defrost the shrimp, as this will easily cook the delicate seafood.
Easy Dipping Sauce for Fried Shrimp
This two ingredient dipping sauce is made with just mayo and Thai sweet chili sauce. It’s the perfect balance of creamy, sweet and just a little punch of heat to bring all the flavors together.
Squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top of the fried shrimp and you’ll be in heaven!
Oven Directions for Fried Shrimp
If you don’t have an air fryer yet, have no fear, you can still make this simple recipe in the oven!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown on the outside.
More Shrimp Recipes To Try:
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
This Coconut Shrimp recipe is delightfully crisp on the outside with a plump and tender shrimp on the inside.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb. Jumbo Shrimp, defrosted, peels removed, tails on (about 18 to 20)
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce
- Dredge the thawed shrimp in a mixture of flour, lime zest and salt.
- Dip each floured shrimp in lightly beaten eggs (works great in a shallow cup).
- Combine the coconut flakes and panko breadcrumbs in a small bowl and coat each shrimp with coconut mixture.
- Air fry in single layer at 375 degrees F for 6 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Combine mayo and Thai sweet chili sauce to make the dipping sauce. Serve shrimp hot with prepared sauce and lime wedges if desired.
Keywords: Air Fryer Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, Coconut, Lime, Appetizer
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: