It’s football season! And you know what that means? Tailgating!!
You guys are going to fall in love with these Ultimate Tailgating Breakfast Sandwiches! They’re the perfect way to warm up on a chilly morning, with warm eggs, cheese, crispy hash browns and bacon, all on a warm Thomas’ English Muffin!
Whenever I think of tailgating I am reminded of my days in college.
I went to the University of Houston, and if you want to meet some die-hard tailgaters, just head down to Houston!
I was always blown away at the amount of food people would bring out to enjoy before the football games. It was always a true party! But let me tell you… there is nothing quite like a warm something to eat on a chilly morning before a game.
The best thing about these ultimate sandwiches is that the prep is done before-hand.
Crispy hash browns, crispy and smoky bacon, and even the eggs are cooked before. The sandwiches are assembled and then brilliantly packaged (if I do say so myself), so they are ready to be warmed up and enjoyed right before game-time!
Or – if you’re like me… we enjoy these sandwiches during our annual family camping trip!
We always go camping with our extended family at least once a year. Every family is assigned a meal to bring, which makes it easier and more enjoyable.
Well, these breakfast sandwiches are a snap to throw together ahead of time, then all that’s left to do is reheat on a portable grill or over the fire!
I think the eggs are the neatest. I baked them in the oven, then sliced them into the perfect scrambled egg patty. Now no eggs fall out when assembling the sandwiches and they’re super tasty too!
Pile all the ingredients onto some hearty Thomas’ English Muffins and wrap the sandwiches in parchment paper.
I love the English Muffins, but using a Thomas’ Bagel would make a great breakfast sandwich too!
Once all the sandwiches are wrapped, place them standing up in one of those disposable baking pans.
I grabbed some bread loaf pans so the sandwiches fit perfectly, but if you’re making tons, you could use a casserole size and just pile them all in there.
Cover the pan with foil and they’re ready for transport!
All that’s left to do at the game is warm them up over your portable grill! Or if you’re camping and didn’t bring a portable grill, you can set them on a rack over some hot coals until they’ve heated through and the cheese is melted!
Now you have a bunch of sandwiches that are hot and ready for a bunch of hungry fans!
No clean-up, just eat and enjoy!
Time to get your tailgating on!
Ultimate Tailgating Breakfast Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in either the oven (at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes) or in a skillet until crisp. Drain on a paper towel lined plate, but do not discard the grease!
- Place the grease into a large cast iron skillet, or heavy bottomed skillet (mine is 12 inches) and heat over medium heat. Add the refrigerated hashbrowns and press into an even layer. Let cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until golden brown, then flip over in sections and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Season the hashbrowns with salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Meanwhile whisk together the eggs, milk 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper in a bowl. Lightly coat a 9x13” cake pan or casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour the egg mixture in. Bake for 7 minutes, then gently stir the eggs in the pan, turning the sides over and pulling up the bottom layer of cooked eggs. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir one more time and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until the eggs are mostly set. The eggs will continue to cook once taken out of the oven, so don’t over cook them. Cut the eggs into 12 equal squares.
- Assemble your breakfast sandwiches on top of the Thomas English Muffins: cheese, hashbrowns, egg, bacon, top bun. Enjoy now, or keep reading to make sandwiches portable.
- Wrap the sandwiches halfway in parchment paper so the bottom is covered, but the top is open. Place, open side up in a foil container and then cover the container with foil. Keep the sandwiches chilled until ready to serve. To reheat, simply place the covered trays on a grill over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sandwiches are heated through. Enjoy
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
disclosure: This post is in partnership with Thomas’ Breads. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.