With the combination of one awesome steak marinade and a delicious garlic & basil compound butter, these are literally The Best Steaks Ever!
With Father’s Day just a few days away, I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than with steaks. They are man food. Well, that and nachos.
Let’s talk about steak for a minute. There are all sorts of cuts of beef out there, but when it comes to grilling here are the best cuts to choose from:
Ribeye (used here) – look for one that has great marbling (fat laced all throughout). It provides great flavor!
Hanger (or “butcher’s tenderloin”) it’s a tender steak for a lot less than what you’d pay for a filet mignon.
Flatiron & Skirt – both pack great flavor and are very affordable. Just make sure you slice these steaks against the grain for ultimate texture.
Porterhouse – more on the expensive side, but it has it all; New York Strip with a tenderloin.
I used to work as a server in a steakhouse restaurant, and did you know that right after they pull the steaks from the grill they put butter on top?
Yes, butter! Butter brings an ultimate richness to the steak, and with this crazy delicious compound butter it adds even more flavor!
I combined finely minced garlic with fresh basil in a stick of soft salted butter, and then chilled it back to firm.
You can add all sorts of great flavors to butter to create a tasty spread that’s perfect for bread, seasoning turkeys or roasting chickens, or you can even add it to gravies and soups!
I marinated my steaks with my awesome steak marinade (recipe below) and let them sit for at least 15 minutes. I also let my steaks sit on the counter for at least 15 minutes prior to grilling to come up to room temperature. I feel like this helps them grill more evenly.
My husband is a huge fan of steaks, so you can better believe we are going to be enjoying more of these ribeyes this Father’s Day!
Whether you grill with propane, charcoal, natural gas, or on the stove top in a grilling pan these steaks will come out masterfully with the help of the marinade and compound butter!
The Best Steaks Ever!
With the combination of awesome steak marinade and a delicious garlic & basil compound butter, these are literally The Best Steaks Ever!
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dinner
For the Compound Butter:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Challenge Butter (salted), softened to room temp.
- 4 cloves garlic (about 1 1/2 tbsp), finely minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the Steaks:
- 2 (10oz) Ribeyes, or cut of your choice
- Place the softened butter in a bowl and use a fork to mash it. Add the garlic and fresh basil and gently stir to combine. Place on a sheet of wax paper and roll up, twisting the ends to press the butter into a uniform shape. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or freeze for 15 minutes to firm back up.
- Combine all the steak marinade ingredients in a zip close bag, then add the steaks. Make sure the steaks are covered in the marinade well. Allow the steaks to marinade for at least 15 minute, longer if possible. Let steaks sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to grilling.
- Heat the grill to medium heat then add your marinated steaks. Discard any leftover marinade. Grill to your desired doneness. (I prefer a medium steak which is still pink in the middle).
- Once the steaks are done, immediately add a tablespoon of the compound butter on top. Let it melt into the steaks, then enjoy!
The steak marinade will work for up to 4 steaks. If you need more, simply double the recipe!
- Serving Size: 2
Disclaimer: I’m proud to be a Challenge Butter Ambassador. I was compensated for this post by Challenge Butter. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible.