This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is creamy and delicious, filled with shredded chicken, beans, corn, and packed with flavor!
We love to serve this slow-cooker white chili with Homemade Sweet Cornbread or crispy tortilla chips.
White bean chicken chili in a crock pot is a super easy dinner to start in the morning if you have a busy day ahead! I love this easy crock pot dinner in winter AND summer because it doesn’t heat up the house and it tastes amazing.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
Slow cooker white chili is special because it’s not made like my traditional Slow Cooker Beef Chili Recipe, it’s unique and has it’s own special flavors!
Chicken and white beans are the star of the show here, along with green chiles, corn, and a little cream cheese to really pack in that rich and creamy flavor.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need to whip up White Chicken Chili. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts – boneless skinless
- Great Northern Beans – drained and rinsed
- Chicken Broth – regular or low sodium
- Cream Cheese – full fat or 1/3 fat is best
- Milk – Whole or 2% is best for the added creaminess!
- Corn – canned or frozen, thawed and drained
- Spices – oregano, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, all necessary to create the lovely Latin flavor blend.
How To Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
The BEST thing about this recipe is that you can put everything in the crock pot, set it, and forget it. No need to cook any meat beforehand! I’ll walk you through the step-by-step process.
In the bottom of the slow cooker, place the chicken breasts and season with salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Add Wet Ingredients
Top the chicken breasts with the white beans, green chiles, and corn, then pour the chicken broth over the top and gently nudge the chicken breasts at the bottom with a spoon to allow the liquid to reach the bottom.
Cook The Chili
Cover and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours or on HIGH heat for 3 to 4 hours.
After cooking, remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the chicken.
Add Cream Cheese
To the slow cooker add back in the chicken followed by the cream cheese and milk and cook an additional 15 minutes. Stir the mixture to incorporate the cream cheese into the chili.
Stir in the cilantro just before serving. Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- You can dice the raw chicken before putting it in the slow cooker if you wish, instead of shredding it after it’s cooked.
- Want it more spicy? Dice a fresh jalapeño to serve with the chili after stirring in the cilantro!
- You can substitute the cream cheese with sour cream or plain yogurt, but the flavor will be slightly different.
- Want it less spicy? Omit the cayenne pepper and diced green chiles and instead use diced bell pepper.
Make Ahead and Storage
White chili can easily be made up to 3 days ahead and reheated before serving.
Refrigerate: Once cooked and cooled, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To Freeze: Once cooled, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Red Chili has a base of tomatoes and usually a darker meat and beans such as ground beef or turkey, and pinto or black beans.
White Chili has a base of green chiles, light meat like chicken, and white beans.
This recipe uses cream cheese and milk to help create the creamy texture, but if you like it thicker you can add 2 Tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the liquid ingredients before it’s cooked.
This recipe uses milk and chicken broth. If you need more liquid added, add either one of those to add more flavor instead of using water.
Sometimes juices from the cooking chicken and vegetables can cause the chili to become a little more liquid than usual. This is okay! Throughout the day some liquid will evaporate and the chili will become a little thicker.
More Delicious Chili Recipes
There’s more than one way to eat chili! Here are some of our family’s favorite chili recipes.
- Cheesy Ground Beef Chili Mac
- Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Chili Cheese Dog Bake
- Chili-Pasta Skillet
This White Chicken Chili is one of our favorite ways to enjoy chili. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 30 oz great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 15 oz corn, drained
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cilantro, freshly chopped
Chili Toppings (optional)
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- diced avocado
- chopped tomatoes
- cilantro, chopped
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Season with salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Top the chicken breasts with the garlic, onion, beans, chiles and corn. Pour the chicken broth over the top and gently nudge the chicken breasts at the bottom with a spoon to allow the liquid to reach the bottom.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- After cooking, remove chicken breast from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- To the slow cooker add back in the chicken followed by the cream cheese and milk and cook an additional 15 minutes. Stir mixture to incorporate the cream cheese into the chili. Stir in the cilantro just before serving. Top with your desired toppings and enjoy!