This Quinoa Stuffed Avocado recipe is a super quick and easy appetizer or lunch!
A couple weeks ago my husband and I went to lunch at a new place in town called Viva Chicken. It’s a Peruvian restaurant that serves mainly chicken recipes, but also some killer wraps, salads and tasty appetizers like yucca fries and stuffed avocados.
That’s when I first tried their quinoa stuffed avocado and I was instantly hooked.
I knew I wanted to go home and make my own version with these gorgeous California Avocados!
They’re practically green edible bowls, waiting to be filled with all sorts of deliciousness. Since it’s summer and one thousand degrees outside, having a cool and refreshing meatless lunch is always a nice change of pace.
I can’t tell you how many times I have had this easy lunch in the past week alone. Let’s just say that you’re going to need to stock up on those California Avocados… it’s so good!
So here’s the best part – All you need to do is prepare a little quinoa in a pot, then store the cooked grains in the fridge for whenever you’re ready for lunch. The whole meal comes together so quick, you’ll be eating it every day!
I like to lay my halved avocados on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce and eat it like a big salad.
At the Peruvian restaurant they had a slightly spicy sauce drizzled over the top, followed by a creamy balsamic vinaigrette. The two flavor profiles mesh so well together and when combined with the creamy avocado, chewy quinoa and crunchy red bell pepper… it’s a flavor explosion in your mouth!
Since every door in my fridge is already dedicated to salad dressings and other various condiments, I figured why not use what I have on hand?
I grabbed some Sriracha Mayo and a bottle of creamy balsamic vinaigrette and it was perfection!
A little spicy, a little tangy, cool, creamy, crunchy… this is one flavor packed recipe you NEED to try!
Quinoa Stuffed Avocado
- 1/2 cup rainbow quinoa, + 1 cup water
- 2 large California Avocados, halved, pits and peel removed
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Mayo
- 2 tbsp Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain. Add quinoa and 1 cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with fork.
- Arrange the halved California Avocados on a two plates filled with the romaine lettuce. Fill each avocado with the quinoa (quinoa can either be warm or chilled).
- Drizzle the top of each avocado with the sriracha mayo and creamy balsamic vinaigrette. Top with a sprinkle of the diced red bell pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
disclaimer: This post is in partnership with California Avocados. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible! Be sure to check out more amazing California Avocado recipes HERE!