If you’re searching for a dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth but keep you in line for swimsuit season, then this Honey-Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Cream is what you need!
This past week has been a serious whirlwind. Last Saturday was supposed to be a day for me to get a lot of house work done. My husband is still working in Canada and only comes home for a few days every 3 weeks, so for the most part, it’s just me holding down the fort with 4 rambunctious kids.
The day started out well, but quickly turned south when I realized there was a giant puddle of some sort of car fluid under my vehicle. I did some investigating and it looked like the radiator had busted, so I filled it up with water and drove it (fingers crossed with a silent prayer) to the car fixing place.
I dropped off my car, but they weren’t going to look at it until Monday (no worries, I still have my husband’s truck to drive around if needed).
I decided to not let this setback get me down. I got to work on a little front yard landscape maintenance. We hadn’t trimmed any trees or bushes since we moved in so I got out our hedge trimmer and set to work. My two oldest kids were helping along the way, and I warned them not to stick their hands into the bush that I was trimming so I wouldn’t chop any of their fingers off.
Ten minutes later I nearly chop my own finger off.
I cut right down the center of my middle finger. I ended up at Urgent Care with 6 stitches and a strong prescription for pain killers.
I wanted a Saturday re-do.
Couple all that with finding out we needed some plumbing work and the start of a kitchen remodel, and well, it’s just been crazy over here. The good news is: I still have a finger and I’m getting a new kitchen, so I guess I can’t complain.
Plus I made this AWESOME carrot cake that’s lightly sweetened with honey and topped with a gorgeously light and fluffy mascarpone cream (also sweetened with honey). It’s the perfect dessert for this Easter, stunning, delicious, and most importantly – quick and easy to make!
Jump on over there, check it out, and then be careful when dealing with hedge-trimmers!!
Honey-Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Cream
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups carrots, finely shredded (about 4 medium)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
For the Mascarpone Cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In another large bowl beat eggs lightly with a fork. Stir in carrots, honey, oil, and buttermilk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined, fold in the chopped walnuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack. Cool completely.
- Place cooled cake on a serving platter. Pipe bottom edge of cake with Mascarpone Cream, or pipe or spoon Mascarpone Cream on each serving.
For the Mascarpone Cream:
- In a small bowl stir together mascarpone cheese and honey. Gradually stir in enough whipping cream to make a piping consistency.