This Chili Shrimp Stir Fry is a Panda Express knock-off. Filled with sweet onions, red bell pepper, snap peas and tender shrimp in a mildly spicy sauce.
Earlier this week I arrived home after spending over 16 hours in the car with my husband. You see, over the last year and a half he has been working in Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada), while I was here in Utah holding down the fort with our 4 kids.
He is now done working up there, so he picked me up in Portland, Oregon (I was there for a conference over the weekend), and together, we drove the 16 hours home.
The whole time he was working up in Canada I would complain about having to do SO. MUCH. on my own. How I just never had enough time to do simple things like vacuum out my car.
So, like any man, he decided to solve my problems.
Tuesdays are the busiest day of the week for us. 3 soccer practices, cub scouts, swim practice, etc. So as I am getting the kids ready to go he is outside getting some stuff cleaned up in the garage. We all pile in my car and drive to the first soccer practice. I open the trunk when we get to the park and find a small generator and shop vacuum.
My son runs off to the field to soccer practice, my two youngest girls run off to the playground and my husband whips out the generator and vacuum… “You always say you never have time, so I thought we would bring this with us.”
I’m that weirdo.
At a park.
Vacuuming out my car.
I do have to admit though, it was nice to get the car clean. But what really saves me on those busy days are quick and easy dinners like this Chili Shrimp Stir Fry. This dinner is literally ready in less than 15 minutes. You’ll want to start the rice first, because this stir fry comes together so quick!
The sauce is a simple one, filled with aromatic flavors of ginger, chili peppers and garlic. You can tame the spice by reducing the amount of chili garlic you add, or pump it up by adding a bit more.
Busy weeknight or not, this Shrimp Stir Fry needs to make an appearance on your dinner table!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chili Shrimp Stir Fry
- 2 to 3 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips about 1 inch long
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and tails removed
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Heat a medium size pot of water to a boil and add peas and red bell peppers. Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add the sesame oil to the skillet and once hot add in the onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is slightly charred and tender. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Toss in the peas and peppers, stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, ginger and corn starch, set aside.
- Toss in the shrimp and cook until the shrimp start to turn pink. Add in the sauce and toss to coat, letting the sauce thicken slightly. Serve hot over white rice if desired. Enjoy!