These Broiler Eggplant Sandwiches with Tomato and Mozzarella combine some summer produce favorites for an easy, 15-minute vegetarian lunch or light dinner!
Hi everyone! I am so excited to be here with my first guest post on I Wash, You Dry!
Shawn makes the most delicious recipes, doesn’t she? I’ve got her chili shrimp stir fry on the menu this month and this lemon supreme ice cream sounds like the perfect way to cool off this summer – yum!
For my first post, I’ve made you a light summer meal that makes zero dishes (except the one you inhale this off of). Seems appropriate – not much washing or drying needed!
For this reason, I adore broiler sandwiches. Tuna melts and English muffin pizzas are on regular rotation at our house – my little ones love them and they take just minutes to make. Can’t beat that!
These eggplant sandwiches with tomato and mozzarella, though, they were all for me. 🙂
I’d been making and photographing some red, white and blue foods for my blog for the Fourth of July and lunchtime had gotten away from me. My kids were getting up from nap and ready for snack time. And while they ate their red, white and blue fruit skewers, I fixed up this veggie eggplant sandwich and chowed down!
You just broil the bread and the eggplant, assemble your stacks, top with mozzarella cheese and broil again to finish them off. Super easy! (And if you line your pan with aluminum foil, it doesn’t get dirty!)
The English muffin halves get nice and toasty and they are topped by a tender, but hearty, slice of eggplant, a juicy, fresh summer tomato and melty, gooey mozzarella cheese. Serious deliciousness for just minutes of effort!
And, well, did you notice? These are red, white and the eggplant is kinda “blue” – so I get to be festive too!
This eggplant sandwich made a fabulous, fast healthy lunch but it also would be great for a light dinner, perhaps with a simple salad alongside it.
And yes, I stacked these sandwiches up nice and tall! Fun food is more appealing, right?
And apparently I have a thing for stacked food…
So whether you are celebrating the Fourth of July or just enjoying all the lovely summer produce, I hope you give these easy broiler sandwiches a try!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Broiler eggplant sandwich with tomato and mozzarella
- 2 English muffins, halved
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large tomato, heirloom or regular, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the broiler on low. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, for easy clean-up.
- Lay the English muffin halves and eggplant slices on the baking sheet. Drizzle the eggplant with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes. Then flip the English muffin halves and eggplant slices over and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the eggplant is tender. (If your bread is browning too much, you can remove it earlier.)
- Remove from oven. Carefully stack an eggplant slice on top of each English muffin half. Top with a tomato slice and season with salt and pepper. Top each tomato slice with about ¼ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven and broil for 2-3 more minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve as singles or stack as doubles.
You could also spread the bread with pesto or drizzle some balsamic vinegar over top of these sandwiches for an extra flavor boost.
These look so pretty and also healthy! I have some tomatoes in the garden that I’m so excited to make this with! Thank you!
i always try your recipes i am a big fan of this site.. 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
I LOVE meatless options — these are so bright and fresh and yummy looking!!
Thanks Kristan! Aren’t they just gorgeous!? 🙂