Macaroni and cheese and I go way back. As with most of you, I grew up eating the boxed dinner. Both of my parents worked full time jobs, so summers were spent at home with my older brother and sister, fending for ourselves. Alas, lunches were typically mac ‘n cheese, and mac ‘n cheese… oh and then maybe some mac ‘n cheese.
A girl can grow tired of mac ‘n cheese.
It was years before I would eat it again, and even still, I struggle to eat it plain. That’s why I’m always coming up with these fun toppings to spruce up the cheesy noodles, like this Taco Mac and Cheese!
Toppings = fun and exciting, new and interesting, tasty and different.
The taco mac and cheese is great because …maybe you just had Taco Tuesday and you have leftover taco meat in the fridge? And maybe you don’t have enough to make tacos again, but just the right amount for a fun new twist to your mac and cheese!
I can’t tell you how awesome this combo is… but I’ll try…
The sour cream on top just makes it soooo much more creamy, and delicious. This almost reminds me of another boxed dinner. The one with the giant glove that talks… yeah – I’ve had my fair share of those meals growing up too…
Have fun with your food. Experiment and try new things.
It’s good for you.
Taco Mac and Cheese
Taco Mac and Cheese has toppings = fun and exciting, new and interesting, tasty and different.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Original Mac and Cheese, prepared according to box directions
- Leftover taco meat, warmed up*
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- sliced jalapeños
- chopped cilantro
- *any other taco toppings you like (ex: salsa, crushed chips, diced green onion, black olives)
- Prepare the macaroni and cheese according to box directions.
- Divide among bowls then top with a little bit of taco meat, sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, and chopped cilantro.
- Add additional toppings of your choice if desired. Enjoy!
*If you don’t have leftover taco meat, make some by browning 1 pound of ground beef (or turkey), drain fat, add a packet of taco seasoning and 1 cup of beef broth (or water). Stir and simmer until thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Serving Size: 2-4