When people find out that I am a food blogger, they often ask, “Have you always loved to cook?” or “Where did you learn how to cook?”
Here’s the deal- No, I haven’t always loved to cook. And that’s mostly because I never knew how. Shocking.
Another shocker- I got married when I was 19. I was thrown into the world of, “Hey honey, what’s for dinner?” and after I realized he was talking to me, I was wondering the same thing…
I started learning the basics- like Mac and Cheese. I taught myself to cook, and once I grew comfortable adapting simple things like macaroni and cheese, the world was my oyster.
I know it’s nothing fancy, and yes this is a box of macaroni and cheese, but I’m not out to change the world – just to simplify it.
You don’t have to be a Julia Child knock off to enjoy good food.
Ok, off my soap box.
This Bacon, Basil, Tomato Mac and Cheese is delicious.
If you’re like me, you might have a loads of tomatoes from your garden and looking for ways to use them up. We planted 4 cherry tomato plants this year, and that was 3 too many. I’m up to my eyeballs in tomatoes.
I grabbed some diced pancetta (italian style bacon, regular bacon will work too), and cooked it up in my skillet. Then I halved my tomatoes and threw them in the hot bacon grease for a minute or two. They blistered and absorbed the delicious flavor. Seriously good stuff right there.
I sliced up some fresh basil from my garden. who am I? #icantbelieveihaveagardenthatactuallyproduces
I threw it all on top of some white cheddar mac and cheese (also made it with original) and it was delicious. Fresh and tasty, savory and a tad sweet from the tomato.
Trust me, this is one you’ll want to dig in to.
Bacon, Basil, Tomato Mac and Cheese
Bacon, Basil, and Tomato Mac and Cheese is fresh and tasty, savory and a tad sweet from the tomato.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- White Cheddar Mac and Cheese, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 cup diced Italian style Pancetta, (diced thick cut bacon will work too)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced into ribbons
- freshly cracked black pepper
- While your macaroni and cheese is cooking, heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the pancetta or bacon and cook until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove from skillet and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomatoes to the bacon grease. Let them blister a bit, but try not to stir too much, cause you might make them too squished. Once they are slightly charred and blistered, remove them from the skillet.
- Place the pancetta, tomatoes, and basil on top of the prepared mac and cheese, sprinkle with a little bit of cracked black pepper. Enjoy.
- Serving Size: 2-4
Don’t forget to check out these other fun ways to spruce up the blue box!