I created these lip smacking good Sweet BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwiches with a dang-good saucy coleslaw recipe to go with it!
This is one out of this world recipe, full of tangy bbq sauce and made super easy with a pulled rotisserie chicken!
I mean, just look at this sandwich. It’s practically calling to you.
It’s so easy to make, it’s healthy, and it’s down right delicious.
Sweet BBQ Shredded Chicken Sandwiches
For the Coleslaw:
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise Dressing
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 16 oz package of coleslaw mix, shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- 1/2 medium size onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- dash of ground sage
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken, I buy a rotisserie chicken and pull the chicken off the bones.
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Begin by preparing the coleslaw salad. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, buttermilk, lemon juice, white vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add the coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots), sliced onion and sliced red bell pepper. Then toss to coat. Cover and place in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet BBQ sauce. In a medium pot, combine the remaining ingredients (except for the shredded chicken and hamburger buns) over medium-high heat. Whisk until smooth, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Let sauce simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Stir the shredded chicken in the BBQ sauce until heated throughout.
- Toast the hamburger buns.
- Place about 3/4 cup of the BBQ shredded chicken on the bottom half of a hamburger bun, followed by about a 1/2 cup of the coleslaw salad; finish with the top half of the hamburger bun.
- Repeat for the remaining sandwiches.